18 inch or 19 inch ???

TOM.S

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Morning lads. got another question for all of you.
How big or smal is the difference between 18,19 inch alloys? (comfort wise)
i mean is the ride comfort with 19s any worse than with 18s,or is it pretty much the same?

19's are like huge flywheels tbh... they look good but will ****** the handling a bit... stick wit 18's... more tyre choice and cheaper too plus look just as good... comfort wise 18's are hard enough on UK roads as it is tbh...

<tuffty/>

I must admit I'm toying with the idea of going to 19's on my s3 purely for looks and possibly sell my genuine 18" ch's, but can't make my mind up cos everytime I walk up to the car I think the ch's look the nuts as it is. If only my ch's were 19's then they'd be perfect.....

Stick to 18's mate unless u own a tyre factory lol much nicer ride

the difference between 17 and 18 is huge in terms of comfort, I can only imagine going to a 19 would make the ride absolutely hateful!

Also having been in a golf mk4 with 19,s the car looked great but the drive was bone shattering!! Every bump and crack in the road, plus the extra money that has to be spent on suspension !!

I've got 19" mtm's on mine with KW sport suspension and the ride isn't particularly bad. Yeah it is harder than smaller wheels with thicker tyres but certainly isn't bone shattering. I do sometimes want to switch back to a smaller wheel for more comfort and better handling but they suit the car so I don't think I will ever switch them plus the tyres aren't too bad at £90ish per wheel.

I've got 19" mtm's on mine with KW sport suspension and the ride isn't particularly bad. Yeah it is harder than smaller wheels with thicker tyres but certainly isn't bone shattering. I do sometimes want to switch back to a smaller wheel for more comfort and better handling but they suit the car so I don't think I will ever switch them plus the tyres aren't too bad at £90ish per wheel.

£90ish a tyre?! What's that for? - Wanli's or Fullruns?? :-/

There's very little in difference between ride comfort between 18s and 19s in my opinion. Tyre choice are important for ride also, budget brands ride harder, but last longer due to having a compound similar to rock! From a handling point of view, 18s all day long, my car is much more responsive on 18s, but 19s is more bling than anything else.

£90ish a tyre?! What's that for? - Wanli's or Fullruns?? :-/

I use a brand called Neuton which I expect most people have never heard of but were recommended by my dad's friend who has been in the industry for most of his life. Pretty certain they are made by Yokohama in their factory. Used them for the past 3/4 years, have outlasted and performed far better than more expensive tyres I have previously used and have excellent ratings: traction: AA, treadwear: 320 and temperature: A. I can't really fault them especially for the price they cost.

thank for all the feedback guys. mine is harsh stiff enough already and I certainly don't want to loose traction,handling for the sake of bad *** looks of the 19s.So I'll probably stick to 18s then.

I use a brand called Neuton which I expect most people have never heard of but were recommended by my dad's friend who has been in the industry for most of his life. Pretty certain they are made by Yokohama in their factory. Used them for the past 3/4 years, have outlasted and performed far better than more expensive tyres I have previously used and have excellent ratings: traction: AA, treadwear: 320 and temperature: A. I can't really fault them especially for the price they cost.

Your right, I've never heard of them! But that's interesting to know, thanks! :)

Ive just gone from 17" (225mm tyres) to 18" (235mm tyres) (already riding on Koni coilovers) and to tell the truth I didnt really notice the difference in comfort. The only change I have noticed is that the tyres seem a bit noisier on cobblestones, but not an issue for the limited time I drive on them.

Ive actually found the handling to be better and a lot more precise and confident, but this is more likely because Ive gone from a crap brand 17" tyre up to a premium brand 18" tyre