1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

18" alloys on A4 avant

Mike J Jul 13, 2018

1. Mike J

Mike J New Member

Hello all,
    Recently bought a B7 Avant s-line and unfortunately it has the 17" 5-spoke wheels on it. If anyone has a similar car with 18 or 19" wheels on it, please can you post a picture - I'm interested to see how high it will sit on the standard s line suspension without lowering it. My insurance company (tesco) won't entertain lowered suspension, but the alloys won't affect my premium.
    Cheers, Mike

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Just Rob.

Just Rob. Moderator Staff Member Moderator Team Brilliant Black Team Daytona TFSI Owners Group Team V8 VCDS Map User Gold Supporter Audi RS4 Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group quattro S-line owners group Manual

here is my old bus in standard s-line trim with factory 18" rims.
    rims4.JPG

4. Just Rob.

Just Rob. Moderator Staff Member Moderator Team Brilliant Black Team Daytona TFSI Owners Group Team V8 VCDS Map User Gold Supporter Audi RS4 Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group quattro S-line owners group Manual

to be honest it wont sit any difference as going up a rim diameter size will mean the tyre coming down a profile .
    so if they were 18" and you went 19" the dia the tyre will change from a , let say in my case, a 235/40 18 to a 235/35 19 so the same applies to going up from 17" to 19" .
    The wheels will look bigger but the ride height and suspension - wheel arch gap wont change.

5. Just Rob.

another but different rims, with a wider offset.
    still 18" but the stance and ride height haven't changed but going from an oem ET43 18" rim to a ET35 makes the rims 10mm further out , which, makes them look better as you cant see as much wheel arch gap, its an optical illusion.
    rims5.JPG

6. Mike J

Mike J New Member

The wheels with ET35 offset look spot on to me. Think I'll try to find a tidy set of those rs4(??) wheels. I think only ace-similar wheels really suit the cards - ie new A4 alloys are too modern for the styling of the car. Did the ET35 offset rub at all?

7. Just Rob.

they were fine , I swapped over to 18" rials after those 9 spoke rims , then back to 9 spoke rims but 19" dia but with lowered a bit more , just swapped over to much nicer 19" rims but an 8.5j still et35 but very tight to my 18z calipers.

18" rials on lowered setup 001.12.PNG

19" 9 spoke rs4 style , also lowered still H&R45.1.JPG

latest incarnation , 19" 8.5j , still on lowered Bilstein B8 with H&R 45mm springs.....wont be changing anymore now....
    car5.JPG

8. Mike J

Mike J New Member

Very helpful, thanks Rob :) Car looks lovely!