Oggi

Reaction score
Howzit,

I'm considering replacing the standard 16 inch wheels (7Jx16 5x112 ET42 with 205/55/R16 91V tyres) on my Avant (130bhp FWD 1.9TDI) in the coming weeks.

Audi b6 16 wheels

I'm still not sure whether to opt for 18 or 19s and not being too familiar with the process and all the measurements to factor in have spent a while searching this forum and others plus trying different wheel calculators to confirm the details before ordering. Assuming I'd like the wheels to fill as much as the arch as possible and be flush or nearly flush with the arch without poking -- and without using spacers or lowering springs initially -- would the following size attributes be optimal to ensure no rubbing?

18 inch Wheels Option:
8Jx18 5x112 ET35 with 235/40/R18 95V Tyres

19 inch Wheels Option:
8.5Jx19 5x112 ET35 with 235/35/R19 93V Tyres

I see in one thread here that it was suggested that on larger wheels a tyre load index of 95+ should be maintained, especially with the Avant being quite heavy. Is this critical because the highest load on a 235/35/R19 tyre from a reputable brand I can find is 93?

Cheers

It's on the standard sport suspension at the moment I believe. I'm leaning towards matte grey 19 inch RS6 reps (ET40 though) just now and will probably go for lowering springs if they sit too high.

Remember to think of the brakes. Will look small with 19s, and with the 18s too but not as small.

Also, the tyre size for the 18 is good, but don't need to be so square. I have a 225 on my 18" wheel, and my friend has a 215 (albeit on a 7.5j wheel).

Good point about the brakes! And obviously there's the increased cost of going for a 19 inch upgrade.

Yes, I wouldn't mind the 19" rs style wheels. But I don't think I could afford the tyre, so if anything, I'd get the 18" rs style, but then I think that it will look too small. Just keep my 18"s that are on there, I end up saying!!! Lol.

But yeah, just remember the brakes!! I love it when I see like 20"s on a golf, and it's a 1.4 so has tiny brakes. And drums on the back!!

Reactions: SemedoB6
Haha. Definitely something to factor in - my car had it's annual service and MOT in June and the two front brake hoses were flagged on the advisory as showing slight deterioration so I was planning to get those replaced soon. The RS6 style 18s are ET45 as well so I think I'd need to get 10mm spacers if I went that route.

What sort of brakes would be recommended for 19 inch wheels on a B6?

Yeah I forgot to say, I think I read on here that around ET33 was the best for the b6s and b7s. So the ET35 would be good.

I got an s4 and the brakes don't look small on my stock 18s. I guess s4 brakes are probably the easiest to fit, size wise. I got the s4 so I could "start high" and didnt need to mod much, if anything, so you're talking to the wrong guy really.

Righto, cheers anyway.

It really depends what you like the look of. In fairness, I have seen some Avants with the right 'stance' on 18's although in my opinion they look very nice on 19's with a 9inch thickness.

Of course, as you say, you must factor in a few things like the weight of the wheel and tyre from OEM so the accelration will be slower - but hopefully you wont mind much. Also, a remap should sort that issue out if you want to go down route

:)

Thanks all for the responses. Is there a particular brand of spigot ring I should order? I know which type I'll have to go for depending on the CB on the alloy I buy (to fit the 57.1 CB on the B6), but most of spigot rings I've seen online seem to be made of plastic. Does plastic suffice or should I look for specific metal ones?

Thanks all for the responses. Is there a particular brand of spigot ring I should order? I know which type I'll have to go for depending on the CB on the alloy I buy (to fit the 57.1 CB on the B6), but most of spigot rings I've seen online seem to be made of plastic. Does plastic suffice or should I look for specific metal ones?

Easy peasy...

Get a set of Spigot Rings from any reputable car tuner shop on Ebay.

I would recommend a nice durable plastic set as metal ones can rust/corrode and metal on metal contact in this situation isnt ideal. (This is what several tyre fitters have mentioned to me in the past)

Having said that, in reality It probably wont make that much difference.

Note: Yes B6/B7 is 57.1 and most after market alloys including a lot of OEM audi alloys are 66.6 so you will probably need this type of spigot ring.

It's on the standard sport suspension at the moment I believe. I'm leaning towards matte grey 19 inch RS6 reps (ET40 though) just now and will probably go for lowering springs if they sit too high.
I have a set of 19" rs6 with 235/35 tyres with good thread all round I want rid of soon.
Give me a shout if interested.

Sent from my LENNY using Tapatalk