177bhp Quattro fuel economy?

trekbiker

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I've just bought a fully loaded Black Edition Monsoon Grey 177bhp Quattro Avant at the weekend. Having had a B6 19.tdi quattro many years ago, a 2.5 tdi also in the past and more rec ently a 143bhp B7 S line, i had thought that the economy would smash alll these out of the park. it hasn't.
So far, i've done a 90 mile round trip on single carriageway A and B roads, it returned 42. I 'had it' a bit, but most of the time was resrticted due to being stuck behind things.
i drove a 5 mile round trip to Tesco yesterday and got 38. Didnt floor it once.
I've yet to taker kit on a motorway run. a friend of mine has a FWD 177 Avant Black edition, he regularly gets 50+, our driving styles are similar. A few years ago i had one of the original B8 3.0 tdi's, it had 100k on the clock after 3 years, but regularly returned 44 mpg.
Am i missing something? Should i get it checked out? would running diesel injector cleaner through a tankful possibly help of is low 40s the best i can expect? It must surely be better on fuel than a 6 pot B8 saloon if driven the same? Confused!!

Thanks,
Martin

Last edited:
I can't comment on the 177, but our 136ps TDIE is a joke for mpg.

Remap drastically improve mpg in these.

Had a 2013 177ps Quattro and currently 2015 177ps quatteo. Without remap they are bad. With remap or Dtuk box I can get over 50mpg. Tyres also play a part. I changed from continental 3 to Uniroyal rqinsport 3 and noticed 50-70 miles more per tank

So that sounds about right.
According to my Roadtrip App I averaged 37.5 over 2 years in my A5 177 Quattro SB
It's the combination of Quattro and wide tyres.
You can drive like Miss Daisy or hoon it around it doesn't seem to make a huge difference.

thanks guys. I had already considered a map before picking her up. It just doesn't fathom that a 3.0tdi Q saloon can return better mpg on same driving style just because it had smaller boots??! (both cars manual too). Map it is then, in the near future.

Just for comparison, our A7 3.0 d is returning an average of 42.
Heavier car with a v6.
Bizarre

The MPG on mine isn’t either and there are loads of threads across the net about it as well.

Managed an a average in the last 3 days of 50mpg down to Umag in Croatia.

Cant comment for the bigger engines but my 2.0 177 quattro does 40-45mpg depending how you drive it.

Hate to tell you this but my B8 3.0 tdi Quattro is always over 42 mpg when driving consistently, over 38-40 when driving town.
I think newer engines seem to lie a bit with economy. My friend has a 1.0 ecoboost focus 140bhp and my car is much better on fuel. He gets 35-40 mpg when driving like a granny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol, so true. just cant get my head around my 2008 3.0tdi saloon being more frugal than a 2012 2.0tdi!!

my 3.0tdi over 2k miles mainly town short driving is average 32mpg motorway runs to london and back etc come out about 47mpg average