17545 - Fuel Trim: Bank 1: System too Rich

Westy

Reaction score
The following error has come up on my mates car which is an A3 1.8T Sport (AUM). Audi have told him that the car needs a new cat but I have been doing some tests on it and I believe the fault is with something else.

1 Fault Found:
17545 - Fuel Trim: Bank 1 (Add): System too Rich
P1137 - 35-00 - -

Firstly can anyone confirm what the power output of the AUM K03s should be as the MAF is calculating around 150bhp

Secondly has anyone had this error before, and can you shed any light on the problem?

I've tested the lambda sensors and the fuel EVAP system and everything comes back fine. I cleared the MIL and the car seems to drive fine, very smooth and no hesitation to suggest the Cat is shagged! My mate says that the car just seems to cut its power which I think is due to the MIL putting the car into limp mode.

Anyway this is what Ross-Tech suggest may be the problem so I will check:

17545/P1137/004407 - Fuel Trim: Bank 1 (Add): System too Rich

Possible Symptoms

• Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) active
Possible Causes

• Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor faulty
  • Fuel Pressure Regulator faulty
  • Fuel Injector(s) faulty
  • Oxygen Sensor Control faulty
    • Oxygen Sensor(s) faulty
  • Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System faulty
Possible Solutions

• Check Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor
  • Check Fuel Pressure Regulator
  • Check Fuel Injector(s)
  • Check Oxygen Sensor Control
    • Check Oxygen Sensor(s)
  • Check Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System
Thanks for any help.

Westy

I had a very similar fault as detailed in this thread: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/109628-mafs-boost-leaks-info-please.html

This was eventually discovered to be a clogged FPR due to vPower dissolving the insides of the rubber fuel pipes leading to the fuel rail, as pictured in my thread about Badger5 TIP and JC Filter.

Your code is slightly different though as it states (Add) rather than (Multi). There's a good explanation about the differences somewhere.....

this
clogged-fpr.jpg

Right, it's definitely not the FPR as I just checked it in the work carpark. It's clean as a whistle.

Word of warning, dont do mechanical work in a suit! The FPR still had pressure in it and I got sprayed with fuel as I popped the top off. My colleagues in the office aren't best pleased with the smell!

I had that code along with the code for a problem with the pre-cat lambada sensor, i had a new lambada fitted and and the code has not returned. Fuel economy improved from around 26mpg to 35 mpg now. This was on my wifes car.

DC

@Westy did you get to the bottom of this code ?? having same issue both lambdas new, fpr new going to check out a possible boost leak tomorrow and change a possible leaking injector. cheers

@Westy did you get to the bottom of this code ?? having same issue both lambdas new, fpr new going to check out a possible boost leak tomorrow and change a possible leaking injector. cheers
No, never got to the bottom of this but to be honest I never had a good look at it as it was for a guy at my old work place. He ended up selling it as it was at the time.

Reactions: westcoast a3
logs?
block 001,002,031, and report what block 032 says
What car? engine code?

Reactions: westcoast a3
@badger5 it's an a3 1.8tqs with apy s3 engine, in it though.

You haven't as yet done any logs as my mate has now borrowed my cable, though today I took the injectors out and all the rings in the rail had swollen, I have changed them for now car feels better but won't get a chance to log till Saturday,.

@superkarl

The maf is also new genuine Bosch.

Thanks guys :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we have seen this once where customer had fitted their in tank pump and kinked the return fuel line... Too much fuel pressure consequently

block 032 just read the number. Dont reset faultcodes as this will zero the adaptions.
the other blocks need to be live data yes

I bought a new fpr topran thought was a 3bar as phoned company selling, told me it was. I have since changed it to a genuine 3bar when this log was taken, also changed the injectors, and checked for boost leaks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk