170ps TDI Oil - Reaching temperature

rdfcpete

Reaction score
Currently using 5w30 Quantum Longlife III oil in the A3. I used this oil in my MY06 MK5 GTI and got on very well with it, so it's tried and tested in my eyes (being Castrol oil, re-branded & VAG approved of course) .

The only thing I've noticed with the TDI compared to the GTI is that it takes around three times as long to warm up, for example I can drive over 8 miles of national speed limit roads through autumn/winter before the car reaches 90 degrees (half way on the temp needle).

The general rule is I won't exceed 3k revs until the temp needle is halfway on the dash, purely out of habit and conserving the engine - something I've always done in any car I own.

Is there perhaps an approved grade of Quantum oil I can use that will allow the car to warm up a little more quickly, without applying excess wear to the engine components?

Cars an MY10 A3 BE 3 door 2.0 TDI 170ps.

Thanks.

Stick with edge mate 5w30, cant go wrong then.

Stick with edge mate 5w30, cant go wrong then.

Will it allow the car to warm up a little quicker, over the Quantum I'm using now?

Cheers Nige' :icon_thumright:

You have to remember that the diesel engine runs at lower temp to a petrol, hence the reason you cant use a diesel turbo on a petrol engine as it just melts. So it may take slightly longer for it to reach temp!

You have to remember that the diesel engine runs at lower temp to a petrol, hence the reason you cant use a diesel turbo on a petrol engine as it just melts. So it may take slightly longer for it to reach temp!

Yeah, that's expected. I drove a BMW TDI, Zaifra TDI and MK5 Golf TDI for years through work before I'd bought the Audi, so not completely new to the diesel scene.

The question was regarding whether there's a grade of oil that might warm up naturally a little quicker? :icon_thumright:

If there is, it maybe of a lesser quality Pete which you obviously dont want, so I would just accept it as is mate.

OK guys correct me if I am wrong. What you see on the temperature gauge is radiator water temperature, not engine temperature. In other words the engine heats up first, and on cold days will supply hot water to the in-car heater. So if you are using the heater, it will delay the reading on the temperature gauge from rising. So, even when we see a slower than normal gauge reading, it is possible that the engine has already heated up and is quite happy. As said above, diesels to take longer to get to their operating temperature, but I doubt that the oil makes a large difference in heating rates.

You can alway check oil temp in the dis aswell, if your dis supports this.