170 TDI fuel economy/ mpg

l33eth

Reaction score
Just traded in my golf TDI 130 for an A4 2.0 TDI 170. I expected the a4 to be similar mpg to the golf, after all its done less than half the mileage at 67k but it seems to be at least 10mpg worse.

Long story short, what's the average people are getting from their 170's? On a 30 mile mostly motorway run I'm getting 43mpg ish and that's driving like a granny too!!!!

It needs a service but would that really improve mpg by that much? I'm thinking remap now....

Hej Matey
Welcome to the Forum. Sorry, I don't own an oil burner so am not really qualified to answer your question, however I do have some experience with diesels and A4's in petrol. Firstly, an A4 is quite a bit heavier than a Golf for starters so I think that would affect the MPG. Secondly, a good service will make all the difference. Check the specs in the HJ site for "published" mpg and bear in mind these are sh@tly exaggerated. Audi A4 B7 2005 - Car Review | Honest John Lastly, it's holiday season so Forum members can reply a little later due to Family commitments, getting sunburned on the beach, and generally enjoying themselves...so be patient someone will be around shortly.

What more info do you want. Please advise.

BR
Allan

sounds about right tbh, mine does mostly town driving and returns 38/40mpg on trips of 8 mile ish. on a good run it will do 45mpg ish

Thanks for the reply guys, sorry if I seemed a bit impatient with my second post. The published figures were far better than what it's actually achieving. The 170 was supposed to be better than the 140 hence my decision to go for that variant.

I have just done a 28 mile journey of mostly 65ish mph motorway driving and hardly ever over 2k revs and it only got 42mpg. I could understand that kind of mpg at 70-80mph driving so I'm pretty disappointed so far. (With the mpg anyway, love the car otherwise)

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had a remap on the 170 to see what mpg gains they've had. Also does the 170 have dpf and would removal help if so?

Thanks again

Lee

I've just moved from A4 B8 170 to an A3 8V 150. Before the A4 I had a series of 140 TDis which were far better MPG wise.

Unfortunately you'll never match your 130 TDi on fuel consumption. The A4 seems particularly poor in 170 guise (at least it was on the B8 model). I averaged about 40mpg over the three years and 55k of ownership. The A3 is currently averaging 50mpg with only 3000 miles.

Thanks for the reply guys, sorry if I seemed a bit impatient with my second post. The published figures were far better than what it's actually achieving. The 170 was supposed to be better than the 140 hence my decision to go for that variant.

I have just done a 28 mile journey of mostly 65ish mph motorway driving and hardly ever over 2k revs and it only got 42mpg. I could understand that kind of mpg at 70-80mph driving so I'm pretty disappointed so far. (With the mpg anyway, love the car otherwise)

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had a remap on the 170 to see what mpg gains they've had. Also does the 170 have dpf and would removal help if so?

Thanks again

Lee

Lee

If MPG is King then a remap should be well high on your "to do" list. I used one of DTUK's CRD red boxes ( removable ) on my 1.9cdti GM Bus and the mileage and extra oomph was really good, matched with great service ( no I don't work for them ) Diesel Tuning UK LTD | Improved Diesel Performance And Economy | Digital Diesel Tuning Box Not sure if you have DPF or EGR....but two things to watch out for if you do....Loads of hassle from those things!

Cheers
A

My previous A3 60k, did 55mpg at best. My present one 30k, both 140's does 50mpg at best. I'm looking at a 140ps A4. Is 40mpg acheivable.

Mpg is definitely a priority for me but it depends at what cost. A remap is only worth doing if the savings on mpg are enough to cover the cost plus a bit more.

I'm sure there was a company on here offering dpf delete and remap to suit for around £400, based near Chester I think...

Like I say, I'd be interested to hear of real world results rather than theoretical.

mine is averaging only 32mpg doing about 6 mile journeys in the week, I would expect it to be quite low with the little trips but in a recent long motorway trip I didn't get past 40mpg :(

On my last trip back home to Scotland last month, I covered a total of 1100 miles (700ish motorway, 400ish country & town roads), which averaged 46mpg at varying speeds and no "driving miss daisy" , that is the best I have had.

On a long run to france fully loaded and at 80-90mph (on the french side of coarse) i got an actual 47mpg. Normal day to day i get 40 mpg ish mines an avant

Thanks for all the replies guys. Seems there's a few differences between what people are getting.

I seriously drive "like miss daisy" as my daily commute is a 60 mile round trip so I do as much as I can to conserve fuel.

I'm thinking that as most of my journey is on the m1 at 65 ish there must be something wrong in the set up of the car so I'm thinking of the following
1) service inc all filters fluids etc
2) braking system check to see if there's any excess binding
3) fitting cruise (£155 locally)
4) remap with economy rather than bhp gains as the basis of the map

I'd be happy with mid to high 40's rather than low 40's. hopefully this is achievable otherwise my a4 avant dream may be short lived :-(

Cud be worst. Cud be 28mpg like my old car if driven like miss daisey around 15mpg if opened up lol

I think if the MPG is bothering you that much you need to sell up and buy a Prius..........

40MPG isnt bad at all imho

Reactions: DieselJake and Avnt
I does 16 miles to work mostly motorway and my average is usually 52-54mpg every morning 6th gear in cruise control doing 70mph. That's in a 2.0tdi 170. My average overall tho is about 38-40mpg that's average over 1000 miles when I reset it.

Morel of the story is don't trust what manufacturer's claim trust what customer's review.

People buy cars for different reasons and maybe 40mpg is ok for some but for me I'd like more. People's opinions, honest (IMHO)or not dont actually have a bearing when all I've asked for is real world figures and thoughts on if its possible to improve mpg.

Thanks to those that have posted real world facts and figures

Decat, blank EGR, delete DPF, remap, mufflerectomy, remove ALL none essential parts (spare wheel, seats, door cards, extra fat from chocolate addiction, etc).
As Tiffy said if your only after MPG buy a Prius.

Jake, thanks for the intelligent input, your advice is invaluable. Where would sites like this be without members like you?!

To correct you though, I'm not "only" after good mpg at all. As I said in my previous post, people buy cars for different reasons and just because mpg gains aren't a priority for you doesn't mean they aren't for others.

We provided facts, figures and tips :thumbsup: I'm a member of ecomodders and hypermiling forums. If you didn't want our input and advice don't create a thread, search and you'll find mpg's covered plenty.

Reactions: Macdoon
stating the obvious here but tyre pressures? I do a 55 mile journey every day and find when I gradually accelerate and average 65mph on the motorway my mpg is very good? will monitor exactly how good but its as expected, hoping for a remap in august so will see how that affects, going for a linear curve so more drivability improvement that power or ecconomy

Thanks Matt. Sound like we drive very similarly but when you say you get very good mpg, what are you achieving day to day? Tyre pressures are spot on as I had four brand new tyres put on it, ones with good ratings on low rolling resistance too.

Looking at dpf removal and remap like yourself in the months to come

just checked now and this week im getting 43mph, most journeys im at 65 mph ish on good a road and motorway, I did include one 12 minute 90mph running late for work run in that too so that's not too bad I don't think, will run another test next week hopefully without the dash lol , mine was serviced two weeks ago is on standard wheels tyres and is also the 170psi avant

Thanks matt. I think we're getting similar mpg. Been getting 46-47 mpg on 30 mile trip to and from work so happier with that. I put some fuel treatment in yesterday so hopefully that'll help too along with a full service in a weeks time when the cam belt is done!!

yup I did that after my service too ;-) used a 4 day fuel treatment, so,,, wonder how itll respond after a map ;-)

Thanks for all the replies guys. Seems there's a few differences between what people are getting.

I seriously drive "like miss daisy" as my daily commute is a 60 mile round trip so I do as much as I can to conserve fuel.

I'm thinking that as most of my journey is on the m1 at 65 ish there must be something wrong in the set up of the car so I'm thinking of the following
1) service inc all filters fluids etc
2) braking system check to see if there's any excess binding
3) fitting cruise (£155 locally)
4) remap with economy rather than bhp gains as the basis of the map

I'd be happy with mid to high 40's rather than low 40's. hopefully this is achievable otherwise my a4 avant dream may be short lived :-(

hi mate I had my dpf removed not through choice a bought the car from a garage n it had issues with it so they just removed it rather than replace it but my fuel consumption is terrible a think am getting like 400-450miles to £80 once my tank goes empty a just full it up again, I have worked it out to be about 31mpg witch a think it terrible for a diesel

Hi Steven. Yep. That does sound terrible, even by the standards of my car. Depends how you drive I guess.

Be interesting to see what difference the map makes Matt

and how much fun ;-) will let u know ;-) bought some 19" wheels for the car on sunday but ive decided not to fit them gonna sell em on

Cud be worst. Cud be 28mpg like my old car if driven like miss daisey around 15mpg if opened up lol

:) I went from a 4.0 petrol 1999 Jeep Cherokee to my 170. Now that could sup the fuel. I've had jap turbo stuff that couldn't compete with the Jeep. Probably the 2nd best car I've had after a scooby.

I recently got high 40s out of my 170 which I was pleased with. Wife has an auto petrol 1.6 nissan qashqai and it can't get past 35mpg. Its rubbish.

funnily enough same here convert from a Scooby sti wagon so fuel is definitely better lol, auto always sux extra gas

Am gettin bout 21mpg in my scooby to the now..... Drive it like u stole it lol

I'd be pretty happy with mid 40's from a 170, my b6 130 and tunit box return mid 40's all day long and i get 600 miles to the tank, am thinking of a B7 170 as a B8 is still a littlenout of reach for a black edition, just out o interest what thre pressure are you guy's running, i have 18" RS6's on 235/40/18 currently running 36psi all round depending on who you talk to you get a range of 32-42, 36 drives well as i dropped it from 38!as that was a little too harder ride.

According to the card on the door is 42psi all around

Well i had a service on my car last week and today during a 20 mile trip in 32 degree heat i was getting this.........This was on a b road aswell.....very impressed.

null_zpsb232f23f.jpg