16502 engine coolant temp. circ high input

Snuff

satan's driver
Reaction score
16502 engine coolant temp. circ high input. thats what code is coming up on my s3. can some one translate to english. im thinking temp sensor

16502/P0118/000280 - Ross-Tech Wiki

16502/P0118/000280 - Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (G62): Signal too High
Possible Symptoms

Difficulties with starting a cold engine.
Starting the engine when engine is warmish or warm, idle rpm immediately is 1200 - 3000 rpm.
RPM at idle is irregular.
With all engine temperatures idle rpm will often vary between 900 - 1000 rpm.
With engine warm (90 °C) the engine temperature suddenly drops (70 °C) and slowly comes back to 90 °C.
Bad acceleration during warm-up.
Diesel Engines: Glow plug indicator may be on for a longer than normal time or at ambient temperatures where it shouldn't come on at all.

Possible Causes

The electrical signal coming from G62 is too low
Wiring and/or connections faulty (short circuit?)
Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (G62) faulty

Possible Solutions

Check wiring and connections
Check / Replace Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (G62)

Special Notes

In many cars between MY 1995-2002 the G2/G62 had a bad reputation for failing often. The original G2/G62 sensor is black and the improved replacements are green.

<tuffty/>

cool and thanks . think i will try the temp sensor as to me thats what it seems like , anywhere i can get one online as im so busy in the shop at the moment that i wont have time to go get one

changed the temp sensor tonite . started the car from cold to check everything and noticed that the fans were running ? is that normal from cold. had a look at the codes 17963 16502 17584. erased them and the engine managment light stayed off . just puzzled about the fans

Fans will run all the time if you have the aircon on...

<tuffty/>