'16 S3 - Battery issue ideas

Nickl

Reaction score
Currently sat on the side of a roundabout waiting for the other half to rescue me, fun fun fun!

Yesterday I went start my car after leaving it in the garage for a week and no joy, went and grabbed a jump starter from halfords, and the car started straight away, I left it running for 15 mins, then everything seemed fine.

Unfortunately this morning the same happened again, car wouldn't start, so jumped it once again assuming it just hadn't charge enough yesterday. Got about 2 miles down the road, stuck in traffic and the car just died!

This to me suggests the car isn't charging itself whilst i'm driving, but does anyone else have any ideas on what could be happening or how to fix it?

Currently sat on the side of a roundabout waiting for the other half to rescue me, fun fun fun!

Yesterday I went start my car after leaving it in the garage for a week and no joy, went and grabbed a jump starter from halfords, and the car started straight away, I left it running for 15 mins, then everything seemed fine.

Unfortunately this morning the same happened again, car wouldn't start, so jumped it once again assuming it just hadn't charge enough yesterday. Got about 2 miles down the road, stuck in traffic and the car just died!

This to me suggests the car isn't charging itself whilst i'm driving, but does anyone else have any ideas on what could be happening or how to fix it?
Battery is probably shot. Happened to mine with a week of the 3 year warranty left. Took 3 weeks to get a replacement but had a golf r to drive round in so wasn't too fussed.

I think with start stop and all the electrics they have a hard time keeping charged. My start stop was still working the day before it died

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Nickl
Thanks Oli, that's oddly reassuring that it's happened to someone else around the same time too. guess that's my next step then.

Guess I could just grab one from halfords, anyone know which modal the OEM battery is?

Would the car cut out from having no battery reserves left? Was surprised it just decided to stall in traffic, when at a stand still.

Last edited:
If the battery was completely flat, 15 minutes at idle after jump starting would not be enough to fully revive the battery then start the car after an overnight park.

In my (limited,,,) experience, it’s unusual once the car has been started, to then cut out and fail to restart because of a flat battery, unless the battery is not charging, in which case you should get a dashboard warning indicator on continuously.

Sudden cold snaps are notorious for highlighting poor battery issues first thing in the morning when there is increased demands on electric power.

You can try sticking the battery on a charger/conditioner for a few hours, or see if your local indy garage can do a battery test for you.

How old is the car/battery? Replacement may be best option. It doesn’t have to be an replacement OEM Audi battery....

Reactions: Nickl
It's a 2016 S3, on it's original battery.

Just worried about it cutting out whilst I was driving, there were no warning lights prior, sounds like there could be more to it… just struggling with ideas!

I’m having the same issue with my A3 TDI been quoted over £300 for a new battery as I’ve been told you have to get it coded to the car.
I got a battery charger and top it up once a fortnight or when the display says battery flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is nuts isn't it, VAG seem to have had major battery issues across their ranges.
Yet my 2014 S3 has never had an issue, regularly left untouched for 5weeks at a time and always starts when asked. I never use stop start though.
It takes quite a run to charge a battery and needs a certain revs otherwise not enough charge being produced by the car. Chargers can be deceptive, the real test is on cranking and a failing battery will fail there even if it is holding 13-14v on a charge.

When mine goes no way am I going OE, likely a Bosch S5A08 70a/h - 760a

This is nuts isn't it, VAG seem to have had major battery issues across their ranges.
Yet my 2014 S3 has never had an issue, regularly left untouched for 5weeks at a time and always starts when asked. I never use stop start though.
It takes quite a run to charge a battery and needs a certain revs otherwise not enough charge being produced by the car. Chargers can be deceptive, the real test is on cranking and a failing battery will fail there even if it is holding 13-14v on a charge.

When mine goes no way am I going OE, likely a Bosch S5A08 70a/h - 760a

What about the issue of getting the battery coded if you go none genuine?

You have to get the battery coded these days?!

I thought it was normally just a case of re-inputting radio codes, but the last time I changed a battery was a long, long time ago ;)

Are you not in warranty still?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

My car (MY14) had the battery fail within warranty period (when previous owner owned it) but was not covered under warranty and replaced for around £250 for OEM one. They're quite pricey as they're AGM batteries (stop/start).

The owner's relative did it so I doubt any coding was involved.

VAG say the car needs to be coded as it alters the way it charges the battery if it is new rather than older (it is true that a new battery can do with a higher charge rate in the short term). Or another school of thought is that after a while it just charges the battery as it should.
Lots of discussion on various VW boards.
When I replace mine I am paying no attention to having the car coded, will just fit a better battery and on its first journey will do a decent mileage at decent revs.

A battery change requires coding on most modern VAG cars as the intelligent charging systems adapt to the age and condition of the battery. If you fit a new battery, you need to reset (recode) the controller in order to ensure full charging efficiency.

If you are replacing your battery, you don’t need to buy an Audi one, just one that meets the correct spec.

Most modern batteries have a 5 years plus lifespan.

Reactions: Flying Scotsman and Nickl
Strange, maybe I'll get this looked into next time I have the car for a service.

Having said that, the new battery has been in my car for well over a year with no issue.

My Mini Countryman (2010) is still on the original battery which is still going strong; the car broke down on me (literally died like OP had, except I was getting errors stating that the battery is not charging) on the way to the garage when the alternator belt snapped recently.

As mentioned its a common fault:
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/dead-battery.387141/

Mine died a few weeks back too; the AA guy that came out also said to me it was a known issue before he tested it which showed it was a goner. Sent me off to Audi to get it replaced under warranty its an S3 66plate so was covered. It happened the day before I was going on holiday so their courtesy car sat in the airport car park for the week whilst they had mine. Not sure which was worse; worrying about who was going to park next to me or if Audi ignored my instructions to not clean it...

Reactions: JohnM100
Turns out my car was coded when new battery put in.

Told the previous owner (my colleague) that she should've argued with Audi to replace the battery under (extended) warranty as it was just outside the 3 year period.

I was told that due to stop/start it had to be coded.

Mine is out of warranty so I will have to pay full price.

Photo%2009-04-2019%2C%2013%2054%2053.jpg
Managed to get hold of vcds, anyone know if usable battery charge is normally working, I.e shows a value? Or comment on anything else this shows ;)

I have been putting off changing my battery and charging it up once a month but this evening whilst the wife was using it it would not start. typical I'm away with work.

Can anyone recommend a battery for my A3 2.0l TDI. I was looking at Andrew Page as a supplier and fitting it myself. Unless anyone can recommend an alternative.

Cars booked in tomorrow for a new battery. I contacted Audi for a quote but they never got back to be so it’s going back to my local garage that are going to supply/Fit and code the new battery for £195. I’m sure Audi would charge me twice that.

Interesting, mine is a My15 model, battery changed under warranty by mobile service van, as the car just wouldn't start and the mechanic suggested afterwards I have the car checked by the dealer to ensure it was charging properly, dealer wasn't the least bit interested and no-one mentioned coding the new battery.

The coding tells the car 2 things:

whether the battery is EFB or AGM so it doesn’t push too much current through it when in recuperation.

New serial number tells the car to reset/re-learn battery charging characteristics & max normal charge %

Got mine replaced and coded by a local independent garage. As many have said, hate to think what Audi dealers would charge to do it!

Don’t jnow if it was this or another thread but a lot of Audi batteries are faulty so check with your dealer before buying a new one. Mine was swapped under warranty.