16" black steel winter wheels for S3?

Will 16" black steel wheels fit on S3?

• Total voters

aar007

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was driving my S3 on the M6 the other day when it was pouring down and the car started aquaplaning!! while it was quite exciting and a break from the boring commute, and after some reflection I got really scared especially that it could have gone wrong so easily, so now I'm looking for winter tyres and I became very interested in a cheap set of 16" black steel wheels that I think would look nice on my sliver S3 black edition.

The question is, will it fit?

I have the regular brake discs (340mm I guess)

I know not many people beleive in winter tyres for the rain, but I will also need them when it snows up here in the north on the slopy roads

Cheers!

I don't know if 16" will fit, you could try https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/
I used them to source 16" black steel rims and Nokian winter tyres for my now sold Skoda Yeti. I never experienced more than a light dusting of snow but in rain the difference was light and day compared to the standard tyres. When driving along in heavy rain it was like ringing out a cloth the way water was shed. I can recall a journey on the M62 in January, late evening, temperature dropping and heavy rain. Two Mercedes rammed into the crash barriers, a Lexus at the roadside in a mess and another vehicle in a similar state. Yes they were rear wheel drive and my 2WD Yeti front wheel drive but I could feel it sticking to the road.

Colin

Don’t think 16s will fit over the calipers. It’s pretty tight fit with 18s. 17s might be ok.
If you look at the sticker on your car it will show what size Audi recommends for winter tyres.
I have genuine Audi 18s and they were great last year.
Last set I had on my a6 I bought them for £750 and sold them for £600 after a few years so cost wise it’s not expensive if you keep them for a few years and sell on. Can’t see a big market for second hand steelies though.

Don’t think 16s will fit over the calipers. It’s pretty tight fit with 18s. 17s might be ok.
If you look at the sticker on your car it will show what size Audi recommends for winter tyres.
I have genuine Audi 18s and they were great last year.
Last set I had on my a6 I bought them for £750 and sold them for £600 after a few years so cost wise it’s not expensive if you keep them for a few years and sell on. Can’t see a big market for second hand steelies though.

The problem is I can't find the sticker anywhere, looked on all 4 doors, fuel cap, boot, and engine bay and couldn't find it! I even looked in the user manual and there were no mention of wheel sizes there.

I know there is no big market for steelies, but they are cheap enough not to worry about resale.

Anyway, I think I'll go for 17" to be on the safe side.

Cheers

Hello everyone,

I was driving my S3 on the M6 the other day when it was pouring down and the car started aquaplaning!! while it was quite exciting and a break from the boring commute, and after some reflection I got really scared especially that it could have gone wrong so easily, so now I'm looking for winter tyres and I became very interested in a cheap set of 16" black steel wheels that I think would look nice on my sliver S3 black edition.

I know not many people beleive in winter tyres for the rain, but I will also need them when it snows up here in the north on the slopy roads

Cheers!

If you're Aquaplaning now, I suspect you need some new tyres anyway. Unless is was a really deep puddle? But then winters wouldn't have coped any better.

Someone has just posted a thread selling 18" winter wheels and tyres. Might be the better option, as 16" sounds too small for the S3.

The problem is I can't find the sticker anywhere, looked on all 4 doors, fuel cap, boot, and engine bay and couldn't find it! I even looked in the user manual and there were no mention of wheel sizes there.

I know there is no big market for steelies, but they are cheap enough not to worry about resale.

Anyway, I think I'll go for 17" to be on the safe side.

Cheers

What car have you got? Saloon , hatch, sportback ?
this is the sportback

17” minimum

11578A39 A3F3 414E 91E6 FC894D18728C

If you're Aquaplaning now, I suspect you need some new tyres anyway. Unless is was a really deep puddle? But then winters wouldn't have coped any better.

Someone has just posted a thread selling 18" winter wheels and tyres. Might be the better option, as 16" sounds too small for the S3.

I still have 4mm tread in my current tyres, but that puddle wasn't deep either.

I'll try to find that post, many thanks.

Hello everyone,

Cheers!
I'm sure someone was selling a set of winter alloys/tyres on here a few days back!!!

EDIT* @Antjos1 Here you go https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/s3-saloon-winter-wheels.404024/