country lane....doing 20....heard a boing.....felt a wobble.....stopped......******. That's about it. It's now sitting outside VAGteck waiting for some attention tomorrow.

thanks....nope, luckily I took a scenic route home instead of a fast A road. I think we were very lucky.

main concern is the dumping of oil from the drive shaft....apart from the broken piece of metal obviously

I followed you to the pod and remember thinking 'he took that roundabout a bit quick'
Are you sure you were doing 20 !?

and you'll get another one if you accuse me of hitting a kerb

F*** me mate.

Guessing its the rear tie bar yeah?

Never seen this happen on a s3 but have on a few tts before.

Last edited:
Is the tie bar at the top? Had Forge adjustable fitted a few years ago

Tie bars are at the top and bottom mate.

If you got some forge ones fitted im guesing their at the top?

This is why im buying 2 sets off dave to prevent this happening.

Tie bars are at the top and bottom mate.

If you got some forge ones fitted im guesing their at the top?

This is why im buying 2 sets off dave to prevent this happening.
Mine is at the bottom,Daves ones are good

Jase....so the bit that broke is oem, and the bit you can't see (at the top) is Forge?

Yes mate the part thats broke is the oem tie bar.

cheers....and how's this for a coincidence....it happened out in the country, on a country lane about 10 miles from where we live in MK. We stopped outside a house (no other houses about), mrs went and knocked on their door to ask where we were (for the rac man). we call rac and the man of the house turns up. he comes out to offer us a cuppa while we are waiting. I tell him I will get the rac to take it to the garage who looks after it (VAGtech), he says he works next door and supply's the parts for them, and when he gets in tomorrow he will price up for the past ready for Jon at VAGtech.....its a small world.

Bit worrying that is.?..changing to Forge tie bars means you can achieve the right camber so how did they do that with OEM attached ?

hmmmm.....I see your point wise one

and the standard bars are wafer thin that end ...very lucky you were going slowly...
Dave your right they are ridiculously thin.

It's amazing if he was going slowly....or never hit a kerb :)

Glad to hear ur alright mate and no one was hurt hope u get things sorted ok and it doesn't take a big chunk out of ur wallet !

thanks.....but it is an S3, so I'm assuming my wallet will be chunked!

I feel your pain - I had a KW adjustable tie bar go on me on the A19 doing about 70mph. The threaded bar that allows the adjustment just snapped. Now running the Forge ones...

Yikes that's not good at all! At least nobody was hurt.

****** hell... Lucky one that mate.

Think I best get my **** in gear and get the adjustables on the rears sorted.

yep. Jon at VAGTech is going to have a word with them. I'm just hoping that's all the damage.

Christ thats bad if the forge ones snapped?

Aren't the Forge ones just modified version of the originals?

Get some S/S ones from S3dave, I still have mine sitting on the kitchen floor! lol

Proper lucky that it's not worse.

I've got my S3 in at Vagtech tomorrow to have my rear bushes (fnar fnar) and ARB done.

Are you local to MK then?

Liam

I think the Forge ones now are Stainless.

That can't be an O/E one as it has the adjuster screw in the middle (which is where mine snapped). I'd therefore guess it's a KW?

Oh, and don't be too worried about the rear drive shaft popping out. Mine did exactly the same, spilled the oil out but just needed pushing back in and the oil topping up. Had no issues since (nearly 2 years now...)

jcs356...yep, that's what I'm hoping for.

Liam...yep I'm MK. Jon at VAGtech has looked after my S3 for the past 6 years.