150 v 184 diesel engines

MarkyH

Marky
Reaction score
So ordered A3 S Line 184ps TDI Sportback but only test drove the 150ps. Was wondering are they different engines or just tuned differently?

My previous 8P was a 2.0TDI-170 and when I test drove the 8V 150 and a Golf 7 150 they did feel a little under-powered. When I drove a 184 it felt much better. As I wanted an s-tronic version I was 'forced' to have a quattro which with the power and torque of the 184 is just brilliant and great fun to drive. I don't think you will regret your choice.

Reactions: MarkyH
My previous 8P was a 2.0TDI-170 and when I test drove the 8V 150 and a Golf 7 150 they did feel a little under-powered. When I drove a 184 it felt much better. As I wanted an s-tronic version I was 'forced' to have a quattro which with the power and torque of the 184 is just brilliant and great fun to drive. I don't think you will regret your choice.
Thanks yeah I currently have the 140 and previously had the 170 and the difference was very noticeable - have regretted the choice ever since and hence going for the 184 in the new one!

Anyone know if the 150 is a totally new engine and when it came intio productuin. Also where is it built?

So ordered A3 S Line 184ps TDI Sportback but only test drove the 150ps. Was wondering are they different engines or just tuned differently?
Just tuned differently AFAIK.

Anyone know if the 150 is a totally new engine and when it came intio productuin. Also where is it built?
It's the existing 2.0 TDI, first produced around 2008. A3s are built in Ingolstadt.

They do actually have different parts elsewhere in the car, even if the engines are the same, to deal with the higher torque. It's worth trying the 150 in dynamic mode first as that makes a fair bit of difference and makes it feel a lot more powerful, I expect most test models are left in Auto or something. I have the 150 and don't particularly feel like I need anything more powerful.

As for the above answer, it's wrong - the 150 unit is a new engine.

Reactions: RGBARGEE
I think all the engines now come from Hungary, and there are plans to start production of some A3 models there as well.

I think all the engines now come from Hungary, and there are plans to start production of some A3 models there as well.

That's correct. The Audi plant in Gyor in Hungary now builds most of the engines that are used in the whole Volkswagen Group. A plant on the same site assembles the TT and also builds the A3 Saloon.

All depends on how you wish to drive - and what BHP you may be coming up to / down to.

150 is fine for me as I have the Cabrio - tend to tootle around about 60 mph.
However, the car seems to need to take a "large breath" when changing between 4th / 5th / 6th when you wish to go faster.
I tend to stay in the lower gear for longer when speeding up and also change down now as opposed to just putting your foot down in the same gear if I want a sudden burst of speed.

I can live with it and it suits this car.
Not so sure I would be so happy if it was a normal A3 - Would definitely have gone for the 184 Version then, if not the S3.

As I started, depends on how you wish to drive.
My advice is to go for the 184 - if you don't need the extra power don't use it.
If you haven't already got it, then you aren't going to get it (unless you remap / mess about / etc).

Good Luck on whichever you choose.

Our driveway consists of 2 cars, both manual with the 150 and 184 engine. The A3 is the 150, the 184 is in the form of a Golf GTD.

Day to day I find the 150 perfectly acceptable, no complaints at all, the 184 is quite a bit more 'peppy' and you feel the extra ooomph from 3rd gear upwards - admittedly in the GTD it feels a little more sporty than my A3. Having had 130/150 TDi's and then 140/170 variants, I would say the 184 feels a bit more grown up and driveable compared to the earlier variants (the 170 suffered terribly from lag and dolloping the power in one big hit) and has a decent smooth power curve.

MPG wise, my 150 is doing 50-54 consistently, the 184 is 45-47. Tyres wise my A3 at 24k just needs new front tyres (Conti 5's), the 184 (Bridgestone's) has done a front set in 13k.

Just my insight and experiences...

Reactions: Eliot Ness, Daz Auto and Daveotto
Coming from a 1.6 bluemotion VW to the 184 a3 has been brilliant. The 184 engine is so good. So smooth and effortless. Still "running it in" so have driven it carefully so far. Drove 150 miles so far and had 52 mpg (so the trip says) can't wait to open her up properly. I'd definitely go for the 184 over the 150. You won't be disappointed

Picked up our 184 on Saturday, had the 180bhp petrol for the last year and was a little worried it would feel sluggish. Done a 100 miles and the stronic is begging to learn how we drive.still taking care but has plenty of poke just delivered differently.

I have a 14 plate 184 and love it, it has 9k on it and is just starting to open up. On a long run I can get as high as 62mpg (carefully driving) and around 54 if driven around 75-80mph. It pulls well in all gears but best I find is 4th, the acceleration is amazing for a diesel. This is my 3rd diesel a3 and the best

Reactions: Snibo and rvtb101
The 184 engine is so much better than the 150 and only minimal drop in mpg. Totally love mine and with 9k in the clock now feels nicely run in and regularly get close to 60mpg on my work commutes which is great given the performance.

Reactions: 184Rod
I had a 150 for few a few days as they had no 184's to try. Cant wait to fully run in my 184 in so far I love it!

How many miles before the Diesels are fully run in though ?