15 plate or private plate???

15 vs Private

• Total voters
The V778 form is the retention certificate issued by the DVLA. All you need to do is give that document to the dealer and they can then register the new car with that number. The previous owner is not involved any more.

For more information about the whole process have a look at the early posts on the Personal Number Plate 'sticky' at the head of this forum.

Reactions: Rob2k68
Know I'll get flamed but I really don't see the point in the cheaper plates, i.e the ones which conform to the standard patterns just with certain permutations of letters and/or numbers. They all look very contrived to me, as if the owner is trying to show off somehow and/or hide the age of the car.

The only personal plates I'd be interested in are the one which cost thousands.

The advantage to me of my plate, which is obvious from my forum log-in, is that it is a shorter number than the current 7 digit plates and is base on the previous system. My wife also has a very similar number on her A1 as well. When they are parked next to each other on the drive I have seen several people do a double take as there is very little difference between them and I'm sure they think both cars have the same number. Mine is H5DJR and hers is H5JHR.

For the small amount I paid (£230 including the £80 transfer fee) for each of the plates I think they are a nice 'accessory'

Reactions: glospete and Rob2k68
Do people really look at/care about new number plates any more? As they change every 6 months I think it is a bit of a non event now, that passes most people by.
I think that you're right there. However, as mentioned by others, I do think that some 'jealous' people could be more likely to notice the 15 plate and be tempted to leave you a little present along side your car!!! One of the reasons I decided to go with the private reg from the off as they don't know if it's new or 2-3-4 year old.

I parked my current car which is a 13 plate the other day in a rather out of the way/rough looking area (only for 5 mins), as I walked away I thought "Hmm wouldn't leave the S3 here", then looked to see if there were newer reg cars in there...there were so it made me feel not as worried...strange isn't it lol. No matter where I park I always reverse into the space I'm in, obviously that will be even more beneficial on the S3 as it will hide the 4 pipes sticking out of the back which are like a red flag to a bull to joy riders! I know if they want it they will take it, but try to make it blend in and the opportunist may walk past to the RS Focus a few cars down with all the 'look at me spoiler' on it lol :D

The retention document V778 turned up today, Is this all I need to give to my dealer where I'm buying the car from to have it put on the car from new ? Also should the bloke I bought it off have signed it anywhere ? Many thanks.

Looks like I'll be on a 15 plate for the first month then my PP. Took the V778 into the dealers today but because I'm not the Grantee or Nominee they're unable to do anything with it. Mainly it's down to my lack of knowledge and also the bloke I bought it from not reading it before sending it to me. Anyway I need to send it back to him to sign boxes 1 & 6 then I can send it to DVLA with a cheque for £25 so I can be added as a Nominee. Once this comes back to me I can then send it in with my S3's V5c to have my PP put on it.

As long as your name is in the grantee part and not the nominee you are ok and you just give this to the dealer and job's a goodun!!
The Grantee part is the name of the person that owns the number and the Nominee would have the name of your wife or whoever else you assigned to use it. If it says Not Applicable, then the plate is assigned to the Grantee.
I hope this helps.

Sorry I forgot to cast my vote. Private plate from the off...... Let the dealers have the faff and I'm with the others on I don't want people to know I have a new car.

As long as your name is in the grantee part and not the nominee you are ok and you just give this to the dealer and job's a goodun!!
The Grantee part is the name of the person that owns the number and the Nominee would have the name of your wife or whoever else you assigned to use it. If it says Not Applicable, then the plate is assigned to the Grantee.
I hope this helps.

That does help - thank you. Does this mean that although having myself added as a nominee I'll never end up owning the plate outright ?? Is there something else I need to do to become the outright grantee ? Cheers.

I'm not sure who's name's down as the grantee, but how I understand it, whoever's name is down as the grantee has control over the plate and can withdraw the right of use of the nominee. Not a problem if its a family member, but if its someone you don't know you need to have your name as grantee or else they can withdraw the right of use at anytime.

Worth noting if your car is financed with VWFS they charge an admin fee of £50 if you change plate from the original one, supposedly to cover the costs of updating their records