140's, 170's, DPF

MarkRobinson

Reaction score
Hi all, first post so excuse the newbness. I'm looking to buy an A3 2.0TDI Sport or S-line, probably around 3-5 years old. I originally wanted the 170 but all these problems with the DPF are concerning me. My question is will the 140's be fitted with DPF and how can I tell whether or not they have this feature? Also are any 170's DPF free?

Thanks

Mark

Hello pal welcome to the forum,
Your in the wrong section you want the 8p (new a3) section

Hi and welcome to asn, as mentioned your in the wrong section but I now want to know what a DPF is

the 170 is what you want, the 140 is pd, the 170 is common rail remove the dpf on the 170 and downpipe 225bhp and over 370lb f,t i have the 170 black edition which has been remaped by giac as well as the dpf work to get the figures.

Although you will no doubt get better mpg on the 140 :)

the 170 is what you want, the 140 is pd, the 170 is common rail remove the dpf on the 170 and downpipe 225bhp and over 370lb f,t i have the 170 black edition which has been remaped by giac as well as the dpf work to get the figures.

You can get the 140 is common rail also, just depends on what year the car is.

All correct answers.

I have a PD170 and only last week had to change a common fault with the DPF sensor, only £90 fix.
DPF's were put on Diesels around 2006, an easy way to tell is to look at the tail pipes, if they bend down at the tip toward the ground = NO DPF, if the tail pipe is straight you can assume the car has a DPF.

Most new late 2008 & 2009 TDI will probably be Common Rail (CR140 - CR170)

The DPF only really cloggs if your not doing many miles, so if you plan to use on short day journeys DONT BOTHER!

UNLESS..........

You want to have the DPF removed and a full replacement exhaust system fitted? Miltek seems to be the most popular choice but also be ready for the hefty price as not only will you need a full system you will need the car re-mapped to get around the lack of a DPF and the sensor alarms etc..

I too was worried but touch wood! Not had any majour problems but then again I do have an hour journey to and from work every day!

One last thing GO DSG!

I've had both the PD140 and now the PD170

The 170 is much nicer to drive, and of course a fair bit quicker!!!

There aren't really any PROBLEMS as such with the DPF, apart from it gets clogged every now and then if you do a lot of around town driving. But a quick motorway dash gets rid of that!

I'm soon to get a new exhaust system anyway, as if you want to map the PD170, you need to get a DPF delete pipe to get anything over 200bhp