1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

12v sockets

Jeebsy May 1, 2018

1. Jeebsy

Jeebsy Active Member

I recently swapped by B7 Avant 2.0 tdi for a B8 A5 Sport coupe which I love but as usual with an older car there's a couple of niggles.

The rear 12v socket (for the back seats) works fine, but the front two don't. I checked the fuse and the fuse to the cigarette lighter (the one in the ashtray) was blown. I replaced it and that one started working, but I had to wiggle the USB charger about a bit whereas in the rear and my old car it worked in any position.

The fuse for the arm rest socket was fine but I changed it anyway - this one still doesn't work.

Are these sockets just a bit temperamental or could they need replaced? If so was thinking about replacing them with these maybe https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/prod...VUrnACh03OQUAEAQYASABEgJwcvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds Can that be done fairly easily or does the whole interior need to come out? Is there a way to test them with a multimeter?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Jeebsy

Jeebsy Active Member

The USB adaptor wouldn't quite seat properly so throwing caution to the wind I decided to have a poke about in the socket with my finger, and there was a foreign object stuck in there - the ring pull from the top of a milk carton. Dunno how it got in there but it was perfect size for it. All sockets present and correct now.

4. Meemo

Meemo Well-Known Member Supercharged Audi S5 Black Edition

haha i did the same in an old car when i penny fell in and blew the fuse (after sparking alllot trying to get it out first), they are pretty hardy though, good spot :)