12v sockets

Jeebsy

Reaction score
I recently swapped by B7 Avant 2.0 tdi for a B8 A5 Sport coupe which I love but as usual with an older car there's a couple of niggles.

The rear 12v socket (for the back seats) works fine, but the front two don't. I checked the fuse and the fuse to the cigarette lighter (the one in the ashtray) was blown. I replaced it and that one started working, but I had to wiggle the USB charger about a bit whereas in the rear and my old car it worked in any position.

The fuse for the arm rest socket was fine but I changed it anyway - this one still doesn't work.

Are these sockets just a bit temperamental or could they need replaced? If so was thinking about replacing them with these maybe https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/prod...VUrnACh03OQUAEAQYASABEgJwcvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds Can that be done fairly easily or does the whole interior need to come out? Is there a way to test them with a multimeter?

The USB adaptor wouldn't quite seat properly so throwing caution to the wind I decided to have a poke about in the socket with my finger, and there was a foreign object stuck in there - the ring pull from the top of a milk carton. Dunno how it got in there but it was perfect size for it. All sockets present and correct now.

haha i did the same in an old car when i penny fell in and blew the fuse (after sparking alllot trying to get it out first), they are pretty hardy though, good spot :)