12 year corrosion warranty!

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
So chaps, the a4 went into Audi today to see if Audi will honour the 12 year warranty.

Both wings are totally shot, both rear quarters have started to slightly bubble and the tail gate has got a small bubble forming.

Its worrying how quick its all come about tbh, the wings don't worry me too much as they can be easily be replaced it's the rear quarters that concern me.

Anyway, the chap at Doncaster Audi took paint readings from all over the affected areas and followed by several pictures of the areas.

I said it's a common fault and he said yes it is for the front but the rear and boot are unusual and he's not come across them before, he then proceeded to say it would take 3/4 weeks for a from Audi response but the response would under probably be a "goodwill gesture" as the defects would fall under the 3 year paint warranty. It was too early and cold for me to argue the case etc etc, I just thought I'll save my breath for when they give me a response, if the response isn't what I want to hear then I'll give it them both barrels haha.

Anyone else gone or are going through this currently?

Reactions: AvantAlexB7
Dani, I seemed to have missed this issue , tell me more sir, whats effected and what should I be looking for , I not saying mine is rusting but i'd like to be upto spec on the situation.
cheers
rob

Surprised you haven't come across it pal. The front wings rust from the inside out due to a poor design with the arch liner and inner foam deadening, the liner rubs away at the under coating and the foam harbours the moisture and this results in the corrosion/rust.

I'm not sure in the what's caused the rears and the boot as yet. Still doing my research, but as of yet it's unclear as it doesn't seem to be that common.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Front wings are definitely a common VAG thing, I need to sort mine out at some point.

Surprised you haven't come across it pal. The front wings rust from the inside out due to a poor design with the arch liner and inner foam deadening, the liner rubs away at the under coating and the foam harbours the moisture and this results in the corrosion/rust.

I'm not sure in the what's caused the rears and the boot as yet. Still doing my research, but as of yet it's unclear as it doesn't seem to be that common.
thanks for the update dani, cant say I was aware of this problem , I must say though when I had the liners out recently the whole area did look very clean and not at all nasty like a lot of previous cars I have had, I wasn't looking for any obvious sign of corrosion to be honest as everything looked very clean and dry , maybe I have had a lucky escape then.

Fingers crossed Rob, definitely worth keeping an eye on though as it's cheaper to prevent it than cure it.

I'm just hoping for a good out come as I don't fancy footing the body shop bill. It will go into ££££'s.

i had mine done under warranty and they offered me 70% of the total cost. i went back to them and said id be more comfortable with 80%. they honored it with the 10% being the managers discretion.

so all in all i only paid 20% of the work and i have a brand new a4 to drive in for 2 weeks

lets us know how it all goes

Is yours just the front sonny? Do you mind me asking how much they have quoted and what you are having to pay?

I think a visit to my local dealers may well be in order very soon, maybe sooner than later even.

Reactions: Dani_B19
I don't think there is any cause for me to worry overly to be honest but as with all things audi and B7 in particular I think a procative stance works well and maybe this is one of those instances.
I think if I get it in and checked properly by audi now , if there is any thing there or it is starting to corrode I will still have time to get it dealt with under the 12year time frame, its sods law for me that if I don't get it looked at now , it will be found 1 day outside the warranty time frame.....

Don't blame you Rob, my car was registered 1st march 2005 so I'm just in haha.

I went to Cardiff Audi with my 11 year old B6 in 2014. It had a rusty front wing. About a week later I had a call and had they had agreed to do it. I had to pay 25% or £175. For a new genuine wing supplied and fitted by Audi I certainly agreed. It did have a full Audi service history at that point. Although they never questioned me about that.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Is yours just the front sonny? Do you mind me asking how much they have quoted and what you are having to pay?

i had drivers wing, and the 2 rear arches done and it cost me £325 in total to pay

Thank you Sonny. So your rear arches has started to go as well? Was this were the tar quarter meets the bumper by any chance?

Can I ask which dealership you went to as well? Would like it as ammo as I have a feeling Doncaster Audi arnt going to be so helpful.

Going to get mine booked into the dealer I bought if from during march as they are overbooked during feb , hopefully wont find anything or maybe that should be " they wont find anything knowing audi" .
I'm going to make sure they check everything twice over to be super sure.

Thank you Sonny. So your rear arches has started to go as well? Was this were the tar quarter meets the bumper by any chance?

Can I ask which dealership you went to as well? Would like it as ammo as I have a feeling Doncaster Audi arnt going to be so helpful.

i cant remember where on the rear arches it was. but i noticed it when i was washing the car.

it needs another trip to the quotation department this week because i have found a little bubbling of rust on the edge of the roof and gutter. should be fun.

i went to audi bexley. they are based near my work in kent

Depending on what the dealers say we should get a group of us together and convoy into carpark to get 100% of costs paid

Reactions: martin1984
Well I've had a response from Audi Doncaster today, I emailed them Monday and heard nothing, chased them up today and within 30 minutes they called me, after the call I asked for written confirmation of our call. Here it is:

Afternoon ******

Just to confirm what we spoke about today ref your vehicle *******

I have managed to obtain provisional approval of 70% goodwill for the replacement of both front wings and paint repairs to the rear wheel arch's, as the defects on your vehicle are caused by paint defects, which in turn cause rust we are unable to cover under the perforation policy

Unfortunately there is no goodwill against the repair on the boot lid

The remaining 30% works out at £482.25 inc Vat

The goodwill is pre set by Audi in Germany, Different panels and vehicles may have different out comes, as per your friends experience, I will contact as soon as the claim has been authorised

Regards ****

So just what I expected to be perfectly honest, when challenged on the phone call why the boot wasn't covered and the 'Goodwill' was only 70% the chap started mentioning the matrix, yes that's right, the matrix, was preset so that's how the offer stood, he also said, which isn't included in the Email, is that if I push the matter any further then Audi 'may' withdraw the offer totally, little bit aggressive in my eyes.

So I've emailed back asking why the boot isn't covered so I have it writing, I will then wait Audis official offer of confirmation.

So what's your chaps views/opinions?

I think it's an Audi standard response. Im suprised they won't do the boot though. Does it look like it's been damaged in anyway to cause it to rust? Did they do a paint thickness test on it? Just wondering why they refused.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Ive finally spoken to audi doncaster today to book mine in to be checked.....only took 3 phonecalls. I mentioned straight away about the online posts about the process and how audi always offer to cover 70%. Strange really warrenty should be warrenty. I am going to push for total cover or as minimum get it up'd to 80%. Have they told you painting/blowing into doors etc? I might try get front end resprayed as part of job. Im booked in monday so will update all as may be able to get numbers together. Sorry for thread hi-jack

Yes paint tests were carried out and all readings were fine, none of the car had ever been resprayed.

Like I said I've asked for written confirmation on the boot as I can't for the life of me remember why he said it wasn't covered.

M19hud, no not at all chap, that's what this thread is for, not just for me for everyone to see and use.

Please let me know how you get on, as you said it will be good to get numbers together, especially at Audi Doncaster. I will be interested to see what they say to you and if you get the same response.

What was there response when you mentioned about 70% payout in most cases? What do you mean by sill and door paint blow by?

Well from what understand that they would have to blow into doors etc to get a good colour match. Im not a painter by any means so could be talking rubbish. Will let you know what gets said monday. He didnt really say a lot other than car needs to be clean and inspected in daylight but not in workshop

well after getting somewhat distracted over the weekend with calipers etc I forgot to update this thread with my little visit to my audi dealers.
Well the dealer I bought My A4 from WLA back in june 2014 had a good old look over the old bus outside and inside wings etc , and gave the old girl a clean bill of health , well rust that is, when I mentioned what about on the last day of the 12 year warranty, they said as they new the history of the car and sold it to me they would have no problem rectifying any corrosion in the covered areas at a zero charge to myself right upto the last day of the warranty.
So not to bad from audi on this score, what happens after 12 year warranty expires remains to be seen.

just calculated that i'm covered until January 2019, I can sleep easier tonight now......

well after getting somewhat distracted over the weekend with calipers etc I forgot to update this thread with my little visit to my audi dealers.
Well the dealer I bought My A4 from WLA back in june 2014 had a good old look over the old bus outside and inside wings etc , and gave the old girl a clean bill of health , well rust that is, when I mentioned what about on the last day of the 12 year warranty, they said as they new the history of the car and sold it to me they would have no problem rectifying any corrosion in the covered areas at a zero charge to myself right upto the last day of the warranty.
So not to bad from audi on this score, what happens after 12 year warranty expires remains to be seen.

I'm guessing they are been more cooperative and willing to pay out to you Rob due to you purchasing the car direct from them. I would get what they have said in writing mate.

Reactions: martin1984
i wouldnt belive anything unless its in writing from them even then they would argue the toss.

I never take anything a car dealer tell me as gospel without it being tattooed my forehead franky , and audi are no different , but from previous warranty issues (Subaru for one) I made sure this time round with audi that I had it in writing aswell , so no squirming out of it for them .

Reactions: Dani_B19 and martin1984
I took mine to Audi almost 12 months ago now, still waiting on some kind of response!

The lass there said pretty much non of it will be covered. Both front wings are shot and a small patch on the boot lid below the number plate in the middle of the paint, and also around the brake light fitting.

Just going to sort it myself, will still work out cheaper even with a 70% contribution offer.

from my chat with audi they gave me the impression that all cases are looked at on an individual basis and tend to look at the cars previous history aswell to base there conclusions and any offer or part offer / contribution to the repair.

from my chat with audi they gave me the impression that all cases are looked at on an individual basis and tend to look at the cars previous history aswell to base there conclusions and any offer or part offer / contribution to the repair.
She took a few pictures of mine but thats about it. To be fair its not what you call standard anymore. Lowered on springs and shocks, full miltek decat, custom headlights etc. Im not too bothered as wings are easily replaced.

I think audi were pretty sure that mine wasn't going to be a problem and that there is very little chance i'll be taking it back before jan 2019 for any corrosion issue under the warranty hence why they had no problem offering me the warranty cover they have, not much likely hood of them having to do it...a classic case of , "if it's not broken ,don't fix it" .
we'll see though.

Thread bump but just had the call and audi offered 70% contribution and my 30% comes to £404 inc vat. So the quote which im waiting to see in writing is for £1350 to paint and replace 2 wings. How did you end up getting on with them?

I got my offer in writing so I'm covered for a free off charge repair within the 12 year period, after that , then who nows....I doubt very much i'll be taking it back for the work before the warranty expires...

Reactions: MartinHudson6
Having a right nightmare with them mate.

They wanted 70% which would cost me nearly £500.

Stated that the issue isn't a paint defect but is under the anti perforation warranty, I've asked for copies of the report to Audi and the settlement from Audi as they won't budge from 70%. As I said to them I'd have been happy to pay up to 20% but even then I think it's shocking that I would have to pay to rectify their own faults.

Anyway I'm looking into taking them to the small claims court so we will see.

Reactions: MartinHudson6 and carlcall
i had mine done under warranty and they offered me 70% of the total cost. i went back to them and said id be more comfortable with 80%. they honored it with the 10% being the managers discretion.

so all in all i only paid 20% of the work and i have a brand new a4 to drive in for 2 weeks

lets us know how it all goes
Have you still got a copy of this? The dealers ive been to said never heard of audi doing anything like that. Thanks

Have you still got a copy of this? The dealers ive been to said never heard of audi doing anything like that. Thanks
Wouldn't even bother. I mentioned this about Sonny and got told each car and client was different, even though the claim offering I received is preset by Audi! How's that work? Anyway they still wouldn't budge from 70%.