12 Months Depreciation

S3JOJ

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

What sort of loss to depreciation should I expect on my S3 if I was to sell / swap it after 12 months?

At what point to they tend to break even?

Cheers
Joe

I've learned to expect to be in negative equity for the first 16-18 months.

On a 4 year pcp they say 24 months, on a 3 year 18 months.

Hi Folks,

What sort of loss to depreciation should I expect on my S3 if I was to sell / swap it after 12 months?

At what point to they tend to break even?

Cheers
Joe

Well Audi where giving me £26,200 for my car which rrp was £40,000
I am £1800 and odd pounds in the red that was 2weeks ago 10k miles on car excellent condition Technology Package and pano-roof these are the only 2 options that add to the value of the car,the rest don't matter

I am £1800 and odd pounds in the red that was 2weeks ago 10k miles on car excellent condition Technology Package and pano-roof these are the only 2 options that add to the value of the car,the rest don't matter

That is what always concerns me with extras, they count for nothing come part ex time, other than making the car more desirable to sell on.
You have to look at them as financial outlay just for your own personal enjoyment while you have the car.
I knew sat nav added value but interesting the pano roof adds value too.

Reactions: pburv and Jassyo06
On an A3 S Line 1.4 COD with quite a few extras I was told I was £3.5k in negative and that was a year old.

On an A3 S Line 1.4 COD with quite a few extras I was told I was £3.5k in negative and that was a year old.

It really depends on your initial deposit and model,yeah extras only benefit the next owner and Audi,they price the car accordingly... loads of extra's,higher forecourt price even though they've priced it at basic spec when they buy it off you, life is a bitch most of the time lol

Reactions: Rob2k68, pburv and Trevolly
Lol, nah it's all good. I've got a really nice car that a lot of people would be v happy to have, I've just got to stop wanting new toys all the time!!

On another note Audi contacted us this week to say that they have a 3 day special event with top deals. I specced an S3 saloon up to £38k and even with the negative equity atm they came back with a £4.5k deposit and £445 pcm which I didn't think was outrageous. They said that price was with them topping up the value of my A3 and an 11% discount. Give them their due they worked hard to try to get us to change!! I'm gonna wait another year when my A3 will be 2 years old.

Reactions: SportbackStu, pburv and Jassyo06
Lol, nah it's all good. I've got a really nice car that a lot of people would be v happy to have, I've just got to stop wanting new toys all the time!!

On another note Audi contacted us this week to say that they have a 3 day special event with top deals. I specced an S3 saloon up to £38k and even with the negative equity atm they came back with a £4.5k deposit and £445 pcm which I didn't think was outrageous. They said that price was with them topping up the value of my A3 and an 11% discount. Give them their due they worked hard to try to get us to change!! I'm gonna wait another year when my A3 will be 2 years old.

Wise words indeed mate, l am the same as you l want something else just now,, but it's just not easy to get,none available and **** discount via Glasgow Audi and am not going to accept second best

Ps some cracking deals on the TTS though lol as for the saloon same car and not much change really barring the boot,l did try to go down the saloon Road myself lol

Reactions: pburv
Reactions: Baldyone and S3joey
Reactions: DAYTONA 500
What's scaremongering about that?

It's exactly what happening right now, manufacturers are incentivising dealers to shift metal and use their finance schemes, it's what's keeping the industry going right now, but like any other debt bubble, it will eventually need a correction !

There are plenty of 0% schemes (not Audi) out there, and plenty of dealers ringing customers early offering to "upgrade" their car for the same monthly payment........

As long as you accept that eventually, your £400 per month isn't going to get you the car you once had, it's fine, but at the moment, £400 is getting you an ever increasingly higher value car, eventually this will come to an end.

Reactions: Pulp84
What's scaremongering about that?

It's exactly what happening right now, manufacturers are incentivising dealers to shift metal and use their finance schemes, it's what's keeping the industry going right now, but like any other debt bubble, it will eventually need a correction !

There are plenty of 0% schemes (not Audi) out there, and plenty of dealers ringing customers early offering to "upgrade" their car for the same monthly payment........

As long as you accept that eventually, your £400 per month isn't going to get you the car you once had, it's fine, but at the moment, £400 is getting you an ever increasingly higher value car, eventually this will come to an end.

If ye can't afford anything in life, you just have to save up more OK it takes longer but tastes sweeter once ye get it....yeah l am sure Audi finance and the rest of them will pull in the purse strings eventually,and it's not as easy as you think getting Audi finance, my son gets deals done then rejected quite a lot

Reactions: veeeight
Just for fun, these are the consumer finance growth numbers for the 12 months to Dec 2015.
From the FLA.

In 2015
Retail & Online credit grew by 2%
Credit Cards & Personal Loans grew by 4%
Car Finance grew by 15% !!!

(Mortgages still represent the largest, both on growth and value)

Last edited:
Just for fun, these are the consumer finance growth numbers for the 12 months to Dec 2015.
From the FLA (Finance & Leasing Association).

In 2015
Retail & Online credit grew by 2%
Credit Cards & Personal Loans grew by 4%
Car Finance grew by 15% !!!

Yip there's far too many new car's on the road all sepang blue lol

Reactions: pburv, Kugaman1 and S32B
wow just goes to show they give you nothing for options, mine is a week shy of 12 months old, 7800 on the clock, before any discount it was rrp £31,945 with comfort pack, folding mirrors and park system plus. I got offered £25,500 last week. I asked what they had given me off the saloon S3 that I had given them the spec of...to which they answered "Nothing as we have given you £2000 more than what you car is worth"!!! So basically my car is worth £23,500 (To them!!!).

Car same reg as mine without the things I've got £28k...so they want to make £4500 or more!!! http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...context=default&quantity-of-doors=3&logcode=p

Last edited:
wow just goes to show they give you nothing for options, mine is a week shy of 12 months old, 7800 on the clock, before any discount it was rrp £31,945 with comfort pack, folding mirrors and park system plus. I got offered £25,500 last week. I asked what they had given me off the saloon S3 that I had given them the spec of...to which they answered "Nothing as we have given you £2000 more than what you car is worth"!!! So basically my car is worth £23,500 (To them!!!).

Car same reg as mine without the things I've got £28k...so they want to make £4500 or more!!! http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201602120978737?make=audi&search-target=usedcars&page=2&radius=1500&price-from=22500&transmission=manual&sort=default&postcode=ch21hn&onesearchad=used,nearlynew,new&model=s3&searchcontext=default&quantity-of-doors=3&logcode=p
My quote was from Audi.co.uk not a salesman and to be honest us existing owner's of the S3 or that fact anyone wishing to change are better off leaving it til all this 16plate uphoria is over,then they all have to start chasing ****** sales again instead of the sales falling into there laps
That includes my ****** son,his boss offered me £2k off a £50k motor
Wait til may that's a poor month....my son always takes his holidays then as do a lot them

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: pburv and Snake Pliskin
Interesting article.

As I said before on here, most people are effectively renting their cars to a greater or lesser extent nowadays.
Driving cars they could not possibly afford prior to PCP and lease.

And thars all fine until you retire.

Some folks should retire from car forums firstly
Best be sure before l retire, if ever do l will OWN a **** off fast Audi

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: pburv and Snake Pliskin
Some folks should retire from car forums firstly
Best be sure before l retire, if ever do l will OWN a **** off fast Audi
My S3 will be 32 years old by the time I retire so it might be worth a few quid more as a classic...:whistle2:
No pcp worries for me then...lol

Reactions: sjbarneS3 and Jassyo06
Caffyns audi offered me £15k as p/ for my car that was priced at £18-19k as a p/x on their own site. T'was on £34k A4 which they refused to discount as well. Told them where to go with that one..

My S3 will be 32 years old by the time I retire so it might be worth a few quid more as a classic...:whistle2:

I am in a trade so no compulsory retirement in place for me mate
Back on topic wee story for ye yeah a lot of us rent our Audi's bad boys we are, So do most Maclaren owners £290,000 on a PCP deal lol yip they do,l was working on a new Maclaren showroom,but in the meantime they sold/rented them in the adjacent Bentley showroom,got really friendly with 2 of the sales guy's and was informed by them that most of the owner's where renters not all,but most..... Kinda puts things in perspective renting a £30/40k poor Audi

Won't be glacier white then...moldy mid grey lol

I am in a trade so no compulsory retirement in place for me mate
Back on topic wee story for ye yeah a lot of us rent our Audi's bad boys we are, So do most Maclaren owners £290,000 on a PCP deal lol yip they do,l was working on a new Maclaren showroom,but in the meantime they sold/rented them in the adjacent Bentley showroom,got really friendly with 2 of the sales guy's and was informed by them that most of the owner's where renters not all,but most..... Kinda puts things in perspective renting a £30/40k poor Audi
The majority of multi millionaires who have stupidly large yachts only rent them also....makes sense when you think about it..:yes:

Reactions: Pulp84 and Jassyo06
It usually makes financial sense to rent/lease a depreciating item/asset.

However, the salient point (which seems to have gone over a few heads) is that if you intend on having such an item/asset beyond the lease period, you need to plan for its provision.

I dare say multi millionaires have such nest eggs to cope, but Mrs.Trellis may not.

Reactions: Soulboy and pburv
I have been retired for 9 years and up to now I've always purchased my A3s for cash. I did talk to my dealer a few weeks ago and he said, as I tend to change my car every 2-3 years it might be an idea to try a PCP and Audi often offer better deals when using them. He would give me a good trade in for my current car, discount on a new A3 as always but also a cheque for £10-12,000.

My wife got a good deal on her new VW Polo and the dealer cash import was only valid if she purchased using a PCP.

It usually makes financial sense to rent/lease a depreciating item/asset.

However, the salient point (which seems to have gone over a few heads) is that if you intend on having such an item/asset beyond the lease period, you need to plan for its provision.

I dare say multi millionaires have such nest eggs to cope, but Mrs.Trellis may not.
Who is Mrs Trellis??:huh:

Well am off out to get A bottle of Pink Moet for the Mrs as it's mothers day on Sunday wondering if they can do it on a pcp deal as that's a depreciating item aswell once she gets her hands on it ...lol

Reactions: sjbarneS3 and pburv
Well am off out to get A bottle of Pink Moet for the Mrs as it's mothers day on Sunday wondering if they can do it on a pcp deal as that's a depreciating item aswell once she gets her hands on it ...lol
Will you be taking the car or the yacht...? :friends:

Reactions: sjbarneS3 and Jassyo06
I thought she was your wife not your mother!

I've sent my 98 year old mother a Flowercard but I won't be buying anything for my wife as she's never been a mother, unless you count her as a mother to our various cats over the years!

Mine has just hit 12 months ....its at 14K miles ...... Settlement is £25000 and I am pretty sure I can easily get that for it selling it privately ...?

Or am I missing something.....?