Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Starting with the rear end
1a.jpg

Jacked up and ready to start:
2.jpg

Firstly you need to remove the black plastic trim along the top edge of the bumper:
3a.jpg

Remove this screw:
3.jpg

And also this screw:
4.jpg

Now you can remove the small piece of trim. Note that it is only the right hand side piece that is removable:
4a.jpg

You can now carefully lift the trim up, if this is the first time it has been removed you will need a knife to cut the silicone which glues it down. The trim is also held in place by velcro strips:
5.jpg

Now that piece of trim is out of the way we can remove the metal bar and the 6x screws that hold it in place:
6.jpg

7.jpg

Now you can turn your attention to removing the 5x screws that hold the bumper on in the inside edge of each side of the wheel arches. My rear shocks look a state in this picture, the covers have rusted away.... another job on the list of things to replace:
8.jpg

Now remove this screw on the under side:
9.jpg

And finally the last screw to be removed hides on the underside between the exhaust tips:
10.jpg

The rear bumper should now just pull off with a gentle tug. If you have rear parking sensors you will need to be carefull when removing the bumper as there isn't much slack in the wiring, you will need to pull the bumper off far enough to get your hand behind and cut the cable ties holding the loom to the inside of the bumper and then unplug each individual sensor:
11.jpg

Here's what it looks like with the bumper off:
12.jpg

Info was taken from Agric04's Towbar install thread below.
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...ia-detachable-towbar-install.html#post1217317

Cheers.

Thanks for this helpful guide. I'm removing mine today and this is very useful.