1000rpm at idle. Fans on after turned off

Blackforce

Reaction score
Hi all. I've owned my a3 for a month now and put on 1500 miles on it. Today I got in the car and within 5 minutes I realized that the engine was always idling at 1k rpm. Also the stop start was not engaging. It made the car horrible to drive. Pull away was jerky and coming up to a junction annoying as it was always 1k rpm so when clutch was part engaged car would pull. When I eventually got home I found the fans on the car were whirring away.

Is this normal? I've read things about the dpf recycling but surely 1500 miles of mainly motorway driving in the last month shouldn't cause this so far.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

The DPF fans run quite a lot. When I drove a 1.6 A3 it was more unusual for it not to be on.

As for idling. I don't know if it makes a difference, but on start up my S3 isles at just over 1K then drops to just under, prob 900 or so?

This is ALL normal. On my TDI when cold the rpm will go to 1000 then after will idle at 800. When the DPF regeneration is going, again the rpm will go to 1000 and yes the stop/start will not work because of it. And yes its normal for the fans to keep going for 5 mins after switch off because of the DPF regeneration. You can allways till when its not regenerating when its idling at 800!

Oh and I forgot to say when it is regenerating, it helps the regeneration to drive at 2000-2500 rpm to build the heat up more which in turn helps to burn off the particulate matter

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.

So surprised that it needs doing after only 1500 of motorway driving. Shocking. Also the car drives so different when it's doing it.

I've said this in previous post so sorry to anyone that's seen it before. I've a 2.0 TDI and previously used Tesco fuel. DPF on all the flippin time. Changed to BP ultimate and DPF hardly on at all. Good mate with the same issue, changed fuel and much reduced DPF. It's certainly more expensive but I've found it to deffo make a difference. 28000 miles now and DPF warning just once.