1000 miles up in my S3

NickyF

Reaction score
I've just completed the first thousand miles in my S3 sportback. I moved from an 8P diesel and overall I’m very happy with the car. It’s better than my old car in pretty much every way, it uses a bit more fuel, but not so much as it makes a big difference (right side of 30mpg). While it is exactly the car I was hoping for, I can understand some of the negative comments and despite it being very fast, it manages to be a little bit boring.

The power delivery is very smooth but not very eventful as a result, however the thing flies along, I’m particularly impressed with the way it pulls at high speeds. I think the smooth/dull nature of the power delivery suits the car completely. Those that are disappointed probably bought the wrong car. A hot hatch it is not, although it clearly is a hatch, and is hot….oh…. you know what I mean. The comments about the dull steering don’t ring true to me either. I’ve had an M3 in the past, and yes it was more involving but I think the S3 has a completely different target audience and gets the steering about right. I’m also happy with the ride although it is a bit crashier than the old 8P sport, but I guess that’s no surprise. I’m obviously delighted I went with the manual transmission ;) but the gear change is epically notchy, especially when cold, I’m really hoping this improves with miles. While I think about it, drive select is a total waste of time for me. I just leave it in dynamic. It may make more sense with S-Tronic and adaptive dampers but in my spec it’s a waste of time.

The build quality is great and it feels like a really nice place to be inside. There are a few rattles that come and go, but I’m hoping these will sort themselves out. I love the steering wheel, it feels great, nice and chunky. I have black nappa, although part of me wishes I went for Alcantara and I’m glad I chose the silver headliner as it breaks up the blackness well.

As for options, I got some of it right and some of it wrong. I spec’d Panther Black and I’ve found it a bit boring if I’m honest. It’s been raining pretty much the whole time since I’ve had the car, so I’m hoping the dull weather just hasn’t given the paint a chance to shine, but it just looks black to me. The panoramic sunroof was a bit disappointing too, it wasn’t quite as big as I’d imagined. I don’t regret spec’ing it, but it hasn’t blown me away. The Tech Pack with Connect is a mixed bag as well. It was the first option I ticked, but I find the big screen a bit much and end up folding it away regularly. I think I could live without the screen entirely and just use the DIS. The Connect features are a bit hit and miss, I knew I wouldn’t use Twitter and Facebook but I really spec’d it for the live traffic data that I’ve found really useful on my TomTom. The data seems OK, but it’s not very in your face so I tend to miss it and end up in a jam. I’m hopeful that the more I use the Tech the more I will get from it. I spec’d parking sensors front and rear and they work well, and I really like the Interior Light pack that I spec’d as a result of feedback on this forum, THANKS!! My favourite option is the LED headlights though, they are fantastic and look amazing. They also came with automatic lights and wipers. I wouldn’t have spec’d these if they had been extras, but I really like both features. I’m weird about wipers and thought auto wipers would wind me up, but they don’t, they just work. There have been several negative comments about the reversible boot mat, but I like it and think it does what it says on the tin. The biggest issue with my spec was the lack of stereo upgrade, the standard stereo is pathetically bad. There’s no excuse for Audi fitting something this bad to car that starts at more than £30k. The standard stereo in my Fiat 500 is miles ahead, I didn’t think I’d be saying that. I’ve got to find an upgrade option but it doesn’t look simple. I also secretly wish I’d spec’d mono.pur and the through load (just for the cup holders). Stereo aside, I’m fairly happy with the spec.

Overall, I’m very happy. If you want a really well made luxury hatch that looks good, is economical yet flies past most things on the road then I’d definitely recommend it.

Reactions: Milnesafc, Richierich37, A3_Rider and 4 others
Thanks Nicky, a good honest review..............

Nice review and I too sometimes have mixed feelings about the screen. When it is folded away you have no obvious way finding out the time at a glance either and no, there is absolutely on excuse for the basic sound system.

I'm pretty sure it will drive better the more miles you put on it.

Interesting review, Nicky. I'm nearly at 400miles in my S3 after a week of ownership and have many similar observations to you already. 1000miles seems a good point to do a review, I think. Car and owner used to each other!

Good review Nicky :thumbs up:

Appreciate the honesty buddy :)

Great review and quite handy as I am ordering this week.

Great review Nicky, I did go for the Panther black and its currently being built (build week 24) - have you seen the benefits in the brief sun we are having the moment mate ?

@NickyF .. great review and I think you have it pretty much spot on ...

despite it being very fast, it manages to be a little bit boring
.. unfortunately yes, it hides it's speed well and is very linear. Sometimes I think it would be better if it was bit more old school, a bit of waiting for the turbo to spool and wallop :blink:

While I think about it, drive select is a total waste of time for me. I just leave it in dynamic. It may make more sense with S-Tronic and adaptive dampers but in my spec it’s a waste of time
.. I think it does make more sense with S-tronic. I've been driving around in comfort for the last week and in D. I switched it into dynamic and used the paddles yesterday, and it's the first time I've been able to tell a difference between the modes. Throttle response definitely sharper and more responsive. Still not sharp enough though but I guess that's turbo charging for you :blush:

The Tech Pack with Connect is a mixed bag as well. It was the first option I ticked, but I find the big screen a bit much and end up folding it away regularly. I think I could live without the screen entirely and just use the DIS
.. if you listen to some people on here the standard screen is so poor you have to spec the updated one. I'm like you, I fold my screen away a lot and find it more than adequate. Can you not have the time displayed in the DIS? You can't have the speed shown but I'm sure one of the options includes the time, would need to check though ..

The biggest issue with my spec was the lack of stereo upgrade, the standard stereo is pathetically bad. There’s no excuse for Audi fitting something this bad to car that starts at more than £30k.
.. yep agree here, the £250 for the upgraded Audi System was well worth it. Sure it's not as bad as the stereo's I've had in BMW/Subaru's but the standard one does suck.

Overall, I’m very happy. If you want a really well made luxury hatch that looks good, is economical yet flies past most things on the road then I’d definitely recommend it.
.. totally agree, however if you're after a fun, characterful car then I'd look elsewhere. It's a bit odd, maybe if it was a bit worse in certain areas, but better in others it would be a car that grabs you ...

Great review, and music to my ears (excuse the pun) as I went for the Audi Sound System, so seems that was a good tick on the options list. Also glad to hear the LEDs are good..... Annoys me a bit that I was told to order the comfort pack to get the auto lights and wipers ...... Bad Audi dealership! Though I wanted the Adaptive Cruise Control- and I think that on its own was quite expensive without the comfort gubbins..... Plus who'd be without a acoustic windscreen.... Hmmmm

Anyway got a note from the dealership saying build will be within the next 2 weeks - so thinking mid July for pickup ......

8 weeks down 4 (ish) to go!

That's a very comprehensive review - interesting stuff. It's really whetted my appetite for my S3 SB ordered on Monday. Now I know what you all mean about the prospect of the wait.....:anguished:

Thanks chaps. I've just clocked 10,000 miles so I think it's time for an update...

Pretty much everything that I said at 1000 miles still stands. Panther Black is slightly more interesting than the metallic black, but not much. The sunshine has made it look quite good on occasion, but I struggle to justify the £750 cost. The only time it looks really good is under the showroom lights. Having said all that I still think I'd spec it. It's not blown me away at all, but I like black cars and it's better than the other two choices in my opinion.

My opinion on Audi Connect has gone even further backwards. The traffic data is rubbish, the map integration is very poor, and (as suggested by other posters) I don't think the online traffic data gives you any extra data. I drive in central London every day and my old TomTom's live traffic was very useful, the Audi traffic data doesn't help me at all. Weirdly I quite like Twitter in the car, it's something to do when stationary in bad traffic, and with the position of the screen you can see when the traffic pulls away. But why is it so terminally slow!!!!? There's no excuse, as the twitter APIs are fast. It's symptomatic of the whole connect experience, a bit crap. I use the Google Maps view, but it just makes it look pretty, it doesn't add any value. The rest of connect is pretty pointless to me. The most useful feature for me is the WiFi network that my kids use all the time. Despite my negativity, I'd still spec it again, but that might be because I'm weird.

The rattles haven't abated unfortunately. There's one bad one, that has been there since day one, then there are another couple that come and go. I'll bring it up when I get it serviced. They don't ruin the experience, but my old 8P had less rattles at 120,000 miles so I'm not overly impressed.

The stereo makes me angry on a daily basis, it's truly awful. I got a quote for an upgrade but it was the wrong side of £1000 so I'm still cogitating.

What I said regarding the pace and handling still stand. It does everything I expect while boring me a little in the process. The gear change is still disappointingly notchy, it has improved a little but that could be down to me getting used to it.

The fuel economy is getting better and better. Regardless of type of driving it's turning in really good numbers. I only get sub 30 when I'm ragging it consistently, or I'm in lots of traffic. Any form of mixed driving gets around 32 and I have seen 40 on long boring runs. I think this is great and makes me enjoy the car a lot more. That may sound weird, but coming from bigger engined petrol cars that would regularly turn in mid-teens MPG I'm loving it. Regardless of whether you can afford it, thirsty cars are a misery (at least to me).

I'm still really happy with the car and it's lived up to everything I expected from it. Having said that I may get rid of it later in the year as the type of driving I do doesn't really suit it. I do a lot of miles in traffic or motorway so I rarely get to have any fun - this wasn't the case when I ordered the car. I'm thinking of cutting it in for a Panamera Diesel that will probably mean everyone will write off my opinions as those of a crazed lunatic. I think the S3 is a great mix and copes with pretty much any type of driving, but when 95% of that driving is in queues or sitting at a constant speed on the motorway then it doesn't get to do what it does best very often so I need to look elsewhere. I change my mind every 5 mins so I'll probably still have the car in 2020.

p.s. Still loving the LED headlights and my beloved reversible boot mat ;)

Reactions: Ben Daniel Grant and gordie1973
p.s. Still loving the LED headlights and my beloved reversible boot mat ;)[/QUOTE

And there was me thinking that once you had locked the spec and couldn't change anything I would be free of option envy......

*checks price of reversible boot mat*

Hi all,

Thought I'd update my first review thread now I'm close to selling the car.

I have driven 40,000 miles in 27 months and my lasting impression is that the S3 is an excellent car. It's a superb all rounder, goes like stink, looks good and is really frugal. Most of my miles have been on the motorway and it's a great cruiser. Really like it. The only problem with the car (and it's a biggy) is that it's just a bit dull. It's been said on this forum many times, but it's true in my opinion, you never really fall in love with it. It's a highly reliable tool, that gets you from A to B very quickly and comfortably. But it's just a tool. Somewhat tragically, I normally name my cars, but the S3 is just "the Audi", this is indicative of my feelings towards the car. Don't get me wrong, I genuinely think it's a great car, it's just missing a little bit of personality.

On the options front, I do think less is more. I've been disappointed with the Tech Pack with Connect. It's very clever and has a lot of very impressive features but they just don't add much to the ownership experience. The WiFi is the exception. it's great and I'll miss it. The fact it uses the car as an aerial makes the 3/4g reception fantastic. I love the look of the LED headlights and would probably spec them again, but as headlights they are just headlights. The parking sensor plus is a bit crap and I'd probably have been as happy with beepy rears. I really wish I'd spec'd a stereo upgrade as the standard one is garbage. I'm still loving my reversible boot mat :)

I bought this car for my Wife who previously had an 8P A3 diesel and for reasons I won't bore you with, I've ended up doing virtually all the miles. I don't think I would have bought this car if I knew it would be only for me, but I have appreciated its talents and it's been a dependable fast weapon.

Anyway, I got to choose my next car so here it is. This is "Alfredo".

Gqv1a
Gqv2
Gqv4
Gqv5
Gqv6
Gqv7

Reactions: S3tuart, Psyman79, Glasgoe Joe and 6 others
Oof, now that's an upgrade.

I've lusted for the Giulia QF since I first saw it in concept form, and the review on "The Grand Tour" this week has only made the lust worse! Please don't be a stranger to the forum and please do a review of your Alfa just as soon as you've run it in and gelled with it!

I've only had my S3 Saloon since October, but I already plan to get the Alfa next!

Reactions: Rob2k68 and pburv
Hi all,

I have driven 40,000 miles in 27 months and my lasting impression is that the S3 is an excellent car. It's a superb all rounder, goes like stink, looks good and is really frugal. Most of my miles have been on the motorway and it's a great cruiser. Really like it. The only problem with the car (and it's a biggy) is that it's just a bit dull. It's been said on this forum many times, but it's true in my opinion, you never really fall in love with it. It's a highly reliable tool, that gets you from A to B very quickly and comfortably. But it's just a tool. Somewhat tragically, I normally name my cars, but the S3 is just "the Audi", this is indicative of my feelings towards the car. Don't get me wrong, I genuinely think it's a great car, it's just missing a little bit of personality.

On the options front, I do think less is more. I've been disappointed with the Tech Pack with Connect. It's very clever and has a lot of very impressive features but they just don't add much to the ownership experience. The WiFi is the exception. it's great and I'll miss it. The fact it uses the car as an aerial makes the 3/4g reception fantastic. I love the look of the LED headlights and would probably spec them again, but as headlights they are just headlights. The parking sensor plus is a bit **** and I'd probably have been as happy with beepy rears. I really wish I'd spec'd a stereo upgrade as the standard one is garbage. I'm still loving my reversible boot mat :)

I bought this car for my Wife who previously had an 8P A3 diesel and for reasons I won't bore you with, I've ended up doing virtually all the miles. I don't think I would have bought this car if I knew it would be only for me, but I have appreciated its talents and it's been a dependable fast weapon.

View attachment 114796 View attachment 114797 View attachment 114799 View attachment 114800 View attachment 114801 View attachment 114802
That's a stunning car ....Just seen the review by Jeremy Clarkson on Grand Tour....he loves it almost to the point of buying one...
Hope you have fun with Alfredo....lol

Reactions: Rob2k68 and MattSedg
Wowsers simply stunning !!

Only one thing better than the cloverleaf alloys and that's bl@@dy huge cloverleaf alloys - awesome !!!

I think Jeremy has bought one, been told his was the first customer car is the UK.

Realise I haven't posted a picture of the "Wolseley" front end (I know what he means).

20170114 114704

Reactions: Rob2k68
Thanks for all the positive replies chaps. Looking again, that pic from the front makes it look like a bit of a goggle eyed minger. This one's better.

IMG 20170114 WA0016

Hi all,

On the options front, I do think less is more. I've been disappointed with the Tech Pack with Connect. It's very clever and has a lot of very impressive features but they just don't add much to the ownership experience. The WiFi is the exception. it's great and I'll miss it. The fact it uses the car as an aerial makes the 3/4g reception fantastic. I love the look of the LED headlights and would probably spec them again, but as headlights they are just headlights. The parking sensor plus is a bit **** and I'd probably have been as happy with beepy rears. I really wish I'd spec'd a stereo upgrade as the standard one is garbage. I'm still loving my reversible boot mat :)

View attachment 114796 View attachment 114797 View attachment 114799 View attachment 114800 View attachment 114801 View attachment 114802
:hubbahubba:Seen the advert for this today, the Mrs has been made aware if my pay rise goes through this will be in order the next day.

Wtf some upgrade! Carbon Seats and ceramics?

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Wtf some upgrade! Carbon Seats and ceramics?

TX.

Seats yes, but I drew the line at ceramic brakes. I'm not planning on tracking it and it was £5k too far.

Fair play to you it looks amazing and has had great reviews!

TX.

Nice one! Congrats! Really is a super saloon! :D

Beast!!
Love an Alfa, had a 156 in the past and a mates owned a number of 147 & 156 GTA's amongst others.

Enjoy, need to get some sound clips up of that engine noise though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all. My S3 is for sale in the classified section http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...14-40k-miles-fash-and-5-year-warranty.310355/
It's an honest car that has not always been cleaned (if you look through my previous posts) but has always been maintained and driven with respect and restraint. It's been up and down the motorway all its life so has covered 40k miles, but it has come up like a new pin and I think is a steal at under £20k.

Anyway, shameless plug aside, my Alfa is still the apple of my eye. It really is a very lovely car. The only problem is the stupid weather, how I miss Quattro. It comes with P Zero Corsas that are only really any use in warm weather, it's lethal. I broke traction at a speed that had too many digits in it to be legal. Scary. I genuinely miss the surefooted nature of the S3 - regardless of weather conditions you can get a move on.

Reactions: Tom.H
I wanted to complete my thread to say that I sold my car for £19,000. I started on pistonheads at £21k and had no interest. Reduced to £20k and put on autotrader. I was inundated with tyre kickers and scary sounding blokes who offered me a few grand under asking "CASH NOW". It was a deeply unpleasant experience. A guy from Sytner Group called and was really friendly and the transaction was completed at my house with very little fuss. I wouldn't use autotrader again for a reasonably expensive car, it's not nice. All things considered £19k felt like an OK price for a high miles manual, next time I'll bypass the thugs and go straight to Sytner or someone similar.

Good luck to all you 8V boys, don't listen to any of the naysayers, it's a great car, not perfect but as an everyday weapon it's hard to beat. I prefer my Alfa though ;)

Reactions: Rob2k68 and azibux1
Nice review. As others have mentioned, things will improve more after more miles. Mine seemed to really come into its own after about 4000 miles, both driving wise and the sound. 2 years in on mine and I still absolutely love it. I'm normally bored with cars after a couple of years but with my S3, I'm still very happy.