1000 mile report 2.0TDi S-line Sportback

cosmicblue

Reaction score
Well actually 1100 miles in just two weeks.

Some more thoughts:

After the 1st worrying week of rock hard suspension - and thoughts of "crikey, 3 years and 95,000 miles in this is going to drive me mad" the Sportback has settled down into a pretty fine car.

Back to the suspension thought - yes at the beginning it was dreadfully hard (painfully so), as 500 miles came up it mellowed a little and now with 1000 miles plus gone it has mellowed still further, it is now just 'firm'. The worst piece of road for unsettling the suspension I have come across is actually the northbound stretch of the M40 between junctions 8 and 9 - it is just awful.

Aside from this evil bit of motorway the suspension makes the car terrific fun to drive - even though I have had some especially nice cars in recent years the S-Line is actually pretty special.

After a late ferry crossing arrival into Southampton last night and 126 miles to home in the damp darkness I steamed up the M3, A34. The 2.0 TDi DSG is such a hoot to drive - so the last 50 miles were all on the A roads up through Woodstock, Shipston 0n Stour and into Warwickshire.

Slicing through the country side, Xenons doing the business and sticking to the speed limits all the way was just so much fun - fun I haven't had in any car for some years. The ride is firm and very well controlled, no wallow and no bounce with tons of grip and that lovely squirty TDi/DSG punch out of the corners - and all the while the DIS reporting 45mpg +! Could this be 21st century motoring heaven in the real world? I knew last night that I had indeed bought the right car.

One element of the ride/drive that continues to surprise me is how direct the steering is - loads of feed back and instantaneous response - this is clear evidence that Audi's engineers have heeded the complaints of numerous testers that the steering feel was 'wooden'. OK the steering isn't Lotus Elise territory but it is close, really close,

Fuel economy is interesting (I almost feel hypocritical writing this as it is so much fun to drive), in the 1st few hundred miles 45.7 was the average consumption on the mtorway @ 75-80, it is now returning a pretty consistent 52.4. I reckon this car will halve my monthly fuel bill - so far this week I have covered 325miles and still have just under half a take of the smelly stuff left. Outrageous. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif.

The DSG is 'just' an exceptionally good automatic tansmission, I have had a couple of plays with the paddles in manual mode and it really isn't anything special - stick the shifter into S mode (should stand for 'Scamper' rather than Sport) and you can have a whole lot more fun. The 'box is very quick and responsive and seamlessly rips up and down the 6 ratios - aside from the rev counter see-sawing back and forth you have no sensation of the thing shifting at all - that digital gear indicator just says what is going on.

I'd guess that a manual transmission with the 2.0TDi would be tedious - permanently changing gear?

A3, 3.2 owners take note here - you could still have almost all the fun without the pain of fuel cost!

Mmmm and I have a visit to AMD scheduled for December too.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

fantastic write up - ican't wait to get mine tomorrow. You obviously love the car.

I had the 3.2 for 3 days when they had my 2.0tdi s-line in and to be honest it made me realise more than anything that the 3.2 would have just annoyed me, it didin't really feel much faster, and I took it back with 22mpg on the DIS when the tdi had 44.5mpg on the DIS constantly.

I felt exactly the same about the 2.0TDi when I test drove it (pick it up on the 26th), and its good to know that it continues to live up to expectations.

Good fun car, and the main reason for considered a diesel was due to the DSG, as the thing I found in the couple diesels ive driven is that they run out of revs quickly, which of course isnt a problem in a DSG, as it handles the changes for you.

Seems a lot of people are being converted to Diesels, and DSG, I never even considered one until a few months ago, but now it makes perfect sense. Modern Britain means congested roads, and high fuel prices, so there's really no point driving a car that needs revving to perform, and uses lots of fuel doing it.

The 3.2 will 'feel' as fast as the diesel as the torque figures are broadly similar and the 3.2 engine weighs a bit more.

In reality the 3.2 will be faster.

p.s. I've got my tdi today and its great

[ QUOTE ]
The 3.2 will 'feel' as fast as the diesel as the torque figures are broadly similar and the 3.2 engine weighs a bit more.

In reality the 3.2 will be faster.

p.s. I've got my tdi today and its great

[/ QUOTE ]

Do post your initial thoughts on your TDi!

Our bodies can fell change in acceleration more than increase in speed, if that makes sense? That is why something with a turbo, which brings with it a not so smooth power curve, always feels faster.

gizze - spot on !!

Initial thoughts: nice torque but it feels tight alright - needs a couple of 1000 miles on it rerally.

Fit and finish - absolutely brilliant - never had a car this good and I've had some really really good cars.

Opensky - looks great with lots of interior light coming in. Its a smart system but it really is a jumped up sunroof to be honest.

Feels comfortable, steering a bit too light for me at slow speeds but I'm used to quite heavy steering.

Its a great all round car, I traded an e46 BMW M3 for it and don't regret it a bit. In fact the sportback feels faster even now (but its not)

Very pleased