1 second of whining with gear change auto & manual

Chris335

Reaction score
2016 190tdi s quattro avant. c. 30K miles has recently begun to make faint but discernable constant pitch whining noise (duration c. 1 sec) with gear change (ups & down). The noise does not occur every time I use the car (it may occur 2 to 3 days in a row, then not at all for a week of two). It is most noticeable when engine is cold and driven gently. I am not a mechanical engineer and I can only describe the sound as resembling 'servo' motors used as sound effects in sci-fi films. The fact that it is associated with gear changes rings warning bells in my head. My local audi dealer wants to hear noise for himself (fair enough) but engine is warmed up and/or no noise occurs whenever I visit the dealership. Does anyone have suggestions?

Sorry can’t help with the sound!
Assuming you are happy to, drop the car off at dealers the night before, so they can have a cold start and hopefully diagnose.
Failing that, is the sound sufficiently evident to catch on a video?

Many thanks for your reply Keef. I had discussed this approach with my audi dealer where we agreed that I'd leave the car with them if the occurrence became more frequent or obvious. It has become so. However, I posted the enquiry hoping that this kind of issue had already cropped up elsewhere and that a solution had been found. The idea being to give some hopefully useful input to audi when I delivered the car to them. I have so far had some useful insights from comments seen elsewhere on the web and have video recordings of the kind of sound (or as one person wrote, "the sound is similar to that heard when an aeroplane lowers its flaps") . I'll contact audi this coming monday and see if they can fit me in in the forseeable... cheers...

Hi, I had something that started like this and then got to the stage where the noise would run for 5s or more some days.

It would never do it when it was in the dealers. In the end I left it at the dealers one night and went out with a service tech next morning and we got it to happen.

They did 2 things after that and it's been mostly fine since then. Every couple of months it will do it once first thing very briefly.

The 2 service items were:
5th & 7th gear synchro rings replaced - there's a workshop bulletin covering noise from those
Oil pipe between ATF oil pan and cooler replaced - they noticed it weeping.

One of those fixed the problem I had! The service bulletin had a recording of the noise the synchro rings make if they need fixing.

Hope you get yours sorted.

'16 Plate Quattro Stronic Tfsi

Hi sotonjdt, Many thanks for the response and input. I'm planning to visit the dealer early next week and hope to provide him with as much relevant background information as I can. Cheers.