1.9tdi or 2.0tdi?

azman

Reaction score
hi folks, i've been thinking of changing cars, i currently drive a s3 8l apy,
but have decided to change to a diesel estate so i can take dogs, or go fishing for the weekend.
i had decided on getting a 2.0 tdi as it has a little more performance,but my friend told me the 1.9 is the stronger engine and the 2.0tdi has issues with turbo blowing?
obviously i know im going to be taking a hit on performance from current car, but reliability for me is a must, seconded by fuel economy.
any advice would be appreciated.

1.9 is a more proven engine when it come to reliablity but IMO is painfully slow. I had a bkd 2.0 tdi A3 before my current car and I found the performance adequate, I sold that with 90k and had experience no clutch or turbo issues (I would say that I'm in the minority though). My current car is an A4 3.0 tdi quattro and I absolutely love it

Reactions: azman
thanks for the advice tow,
is there a reason why you suggest the 1.9?

is what my m8 pal says about the 2.0 turbo correct?
does the 1.9 have dpf?
what can i expect to achieve from a remap in terms of bhp and torque?

sorry fo the questions its just i usually just jump in to these things and have been burnt twice now, so lesson learned the hard way.

1.9 and 2.0 140 tdi dont have dpf , 2.0 tdi 170 has dpf . 1.9 feels more torque but in a big car like the a4 will be slow ,the 140 tdi feels slow as standard ,compared to the 170 but is fine after a remap .

all vw audi engines have turbo problems , the vnt mechanism is terrible it clogs up and causes boost problems , but if you drive it hard a few times a week to clear the soot there shouldnt be any probs.

buy a diesel for economy ,then have to thrash it to keep it running properly . makes sense

Reactions: azman
thanks for the reply hollow, i have been looking for a 08-58 plate as it has better front end and dash layout.
i havent seen any 1.9tdi's tho. did they stop making them for the b8 or are they just rare?
after sinking quite abit in my current car, reliability is no longer there and dont feel i can justify throwing more money at it, so decided to cut my losses and get some thing sensible.i was pondering getting the 2.0tdi and remap. i dont expect it to be quick tbh, i think my boy racer days are just about over lol. im after relaibility, fuel economy.
i dont drive lots of miles as work is only 6 miles round trip with many traffic lights along the way.
i'd be lucky if i did more than 70 miles per week atm,

well makes me feel better, think to own a b8 you have to be in the over 40's club , a word of warning to you some of the 2.0 engines have a potential oil pump problem that can fail ,doesn't mean it will but it can , there are rare cases of it on higher mileage engines . seems to be the 170 version that's effected mostly .
if your not after speed then get a good 140 2.0 tdi no dpf issues to worry about and with a remap it will definately feel livelier

i would try to get the sline version though with all the extras as retrofits aren't cheap

thanks, im not quite in the over 40's bracket. couple of years only to go tho.
are there any other things to look out for?
i was torn between this and the volvo v50 2.0d but i think the audi just beats it on looks.

The B8 was never available with a 1.9 derv. The b8 has the common rail derv which are far more reliable than the pd units they replaced in there b7. All b8 derv have DPF.

The B8 was never available with a 1.9 derv. The b8 has the common rail derv which are far more reliable than the pd units they replaced in there b7. All b8 derv have DPF.

my mistake not thinking b7 didnt come with dpf on 140 version , as chris said all cr engines have dpf