1.9tdi auto gearbox/clutch pack

Rae1001

Reaction score
just recently bought an a4 avant 1.9tdi auto with a "slight judder" through 1st gear
This slight judder was actually a lot worse than i thought, but i got it very cheap to accomodate for this.
Now the clutch pack on the auto, am i right in saying its part of the gearbox?
What is required to change the box? Any coding required etc? Im using the original ecu so thats not a problem and either is swapping the box (as a matter of speaking)
Where can i find the gearbox code? As i need to buy another box with the same code

The car only has 80k on the clock so i am surprised that this has went wrong so badly, however, if it needs done, it needs done ey

sounds more like torque convertor breaking up.

If the clutches have gone then its recon time, not a diy job im afraid.

I dont think its torque convertor.
When i put it in "d", it does nothing, then a huge judder as i hit around 1600rpm and pulling off, it gets up to speed fine, although quite a bit slower than normal, then at around 60-70mph, i can put my foot on the accelerator and it just keeps revving as though the clutch is slipping.
Would you still say torque convertor?
Whats involved in repairing the torque convertor if that is the problem?
Are the clutches within the gearbox?

Check the ATF. It should be a nice pink colour, give it a sniff it too, & if it smells burnt it's time for a fluid change.

There are invoices from the previous owner having the fluid changed and also the ecu checked. I guessed they had started with the cheapest parts.
Will still give it a check though as can never be too sure

Any more suggestions? Hopefully what i have described will give someone an idea

If its clutches then its still a complete gearbox rebuild providing the clutch residue has not wrecked the valve system , which it usually does, Best thing is to price up a recon box .

I can get a recon box if need be, but is it a case of just changing the box over if im still using original ecu? Or does any coding or anything need done after the box is fitted?

Is it tiptronic ?

Do you have the gearbox number ?

Aye... Can change it manually from the stick aswel...?
No i dont, where is the number? Ive not been under the car atall yet

Well i about died, got a price for rebuilding the box... £3000 +vat

Dont know what to do now. Its a 2004, thats 11 years old now, is it really worth it?