1.9TDI 130 Turbo issue

ashuk115

Reaction score
Hi all,

Before Xmas the turbo on my A4 started playing up, then stopped working at all, no spooling but not exactly limp mode either so assumed over boost issue.

On inspection at a local trustworthy garage I was told the vnt vanes were sticking so would be a new turbo, obviously I researched this online and quickly stumbled on the Mr Muscle solution, I tried this but it hasn't resolved the issue.

Question is, do I need to get the car on diagnostics to clear any over boost fault?
Is it worth trying the Mr Muscle approach again?
Been looking at 2nd hand turbo's on eBay, but is the turbo the same on 100bhp, 110bhp, 130bhp models i.e. GT1749VA?

I'm looking to sell on the car as since bought a new one so don't want to commit a lot of cost.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Hi mate, if it did have overboost issues every time you turned engine on and off it would reset the limp mode until it done it again but you would probably still have engine light on possibly!
If I was you I'd check what fault codes you actually have and make sure it's nothing else but if your handy with the tools why not take a check round at vac pipes on solonoids etc then whip the actual turbo off and open it up to check the vntis working correctly, when my turbo blew up up I bought a cartridge to rebuild it and only cost me £130-150 a still working great and pulls like a train, make sure they've checked the actuator too, get somone to rev the car and see if it moves at all as I've seen these seize on cars?
It's quite a simple system so it shouldn't be too hard to find the fault

Cheers for the advice, with regards to the actuator I can move the rod beneath manually so belive this to be ok but can't be sure.

As the car is off the road I'll see if I can get the turbo off, at least this way I'll have a better view on it and can always get re-conned if needs be, I just really hoped the Mr Muscle quick fix would have sorted it.

You really need to take the car to someone who knows them diesel engines and have means to scan for fault codes and be able to take logs ! I would not condemn a turbo before doing the above and i will rather upgrade than replace like for like ! The gt1749V as fitted to the 100/110 Bhp is not the same as the gt1749VA even though they can be swapped on with minor mods...

Vacuum problem or control valve maybe, if the vanes all move nicely it should spool up.
As said above if its overboosting it'll only go into limp mode when you welly it, it will pull hard for a bit until it overboosts.
Scan should show up anything out of range.

Defo don't go jumping in and changing turbos just yet..