1.9Tdi 130 Avf Injector failing?

stevewr1

Reaction score
Hi all,

Recently on starting my tdi from cold the motor is idling hesitantly and also has white smoke coming from the exhaust with a rancid smell. When warmed up it the motor behaves fine...

I have taken video footage and logged the injector quantity on VCDS. Also the injector loom is replaced brand new but still have the issue. Can somebody with VCDS experience here please look at my logs below and confirm if it is indeed one of the injectors failing, i think its cylinder 4...

VCDS logs:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2x8PlJgY-U3eG1rNW0zaEw0Rzg/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Update: Flywheel is fcuked not injectors as I assumed.

Flywheel doesn't cause white smoke from the exhaust. The white smoke with rancid smell is unburnt diesel.

Flywheel doesn't cause white smoke from the exhaust. The white smoke with rancid smell is unburnt diesel.

Yeah your right, still have the issue after a new clutch and flywheel installed recently on the advice of mechanic. Have been to two mechanics who have misdiagnosed the issue now at a cost of 1000 to me but injectors have been ruled out. Any idea what it is, im thinking failing camshaft or is the engine fried?

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

Check the glow plugs and make they are are all OK, also the coolant temp sensor . Check the compression as well.
May also be due to worn cam lobes. You can only really check these by taking the rocker cover off and having a look. If it runs fine when it's hot I would look at the glow plugs and check coolant temp sensor first. fairly cheap and easy to do.

Check the glow plugs and make they are are all OK, also the coolant temp sensor . Check the compression as well.
May also be due to worn cam lobes. You can only really check these by taking the rocker cover off and having a look. If it runs fine when it's hot I would look at the glow plugs and check coolant temp sensor first. fairly cheap and easy to do.

Thanks "desertstorm" Here is the history of engine work in my ownership since 120k, now 173k on her, currently no fault codes showing on VCDS....

Engine Service History:

· Timing Belt @ 139,891

· Genuine audi coolant temperature sensor & thermostat @ 140,000

· Air and cabin filter @ 140,500

· Oil + Filter @ 162,430 - Valvoline synpower 5w30 504/507

· Genuine new bosch MAF sensor @ 167,000

· Mann fuel filter @ 168,220

· Genuine audi new injector loom @ 168,900

· Genuine audi new map sensor @ 173,000

It starts perfectly fine so would that rule out the glowplugs? It has been suggested a possible fuel pump problem but there is no loss of power and it runs perfect at 90 degrees although i am only getting 25-30 mpg out of her since this issue began at around 166k. Only thing left i can think off to rule out is the camshaft....

Last edited: