1.9TDi 100BHP Experience?

AudiNutta

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Been looking for a 1.9TDi A3 for my first car, but ALWAYS preferred an Avant. Fallen in love with a B6 100 Sport today :hubbahubba:

Today I found that the 100BHP A4 Avant can be insured for only £300 more than the A3 1.9TDi 105. Well, when I say only; that equates to a total cost of £4600 premium, car is only worth £3300. :sob: But needs must, besides I am too stubborn to start off anywhere else than my dream.. an Audi!! :kissmyrings:

But what occurred to me immediately was, isn't it a bit sluggish? It is a fairly big car to be only putting out 100BHP. My Mum has a B7 1.9 115, not the quickest of cars but far from the worst.
So I immediately read up on remaps for the 100, it says that you have to be very careful due to the clutches fitted and too much power causing slippage? Anyone had any bad experience of remapping these, or what is yours remapped to?

Also what can I expect MPG wise out of this? Being on an apprentice budget, the £400 a month insurance is taking a big chunk out of my monthly wage, so running costs matter.

Just looking for some feedback on this engine really. Any help will be massively appreciated, thanks in advance. :)

Regards,

Matt

That is a lot of money for insurance.......I must be old as only pay 300 fully comp with mods.

From what I have heard the 100 is not a very strong engine when a remap gets added, so would not get a too aggressive one added.

The 130 for the 1.9 is the best all rounder in my opinion

Mine is a 100bhp and since i had it remapped to 132 it is great. Far from sluggish but it was naff before it was mapped

That is a lot of money for insurance.......I must be old as only pay 300 fully comp with mods.

From what I have heard the 100 is not a very strong engine when a remap gets added, so would not get a too aggressive one added.

The 130 for the 1.9 is the best all rounder in my opinion

It is daylight robbery, don't know how they get away with it. It isn't a wonder why there are so many people on the road uninsured.. but needs must.

That is what I have read online, the clutches apparently don't cope too well.

I would love a 130, but the insurance on a £4000 130hp comes out as £7100 fully comp :slapped:

Mine is a 100bhp and since i had it remapped to 132 it is great. Far from sluggish but it was naff before it was mapped

I have seen one on You Tube abroad that was mapped to 140, but I have read that 40BHP extra is too much for the clutch, causes slippage. I just wanted to know what is well suited to the engine from someone using the car. Was that estimated or was the car put on a rolling road to get that 132BHP readout?

How is the car overall? No common mechanical issues I should be aware of?

The clutch is the only thing that will cause you issues, the rest of the engine will easily take the power. change the injectors and turbo and it will remap to 170bhp again the clutch is usually what causes issues.
Seeing you are going to to so much expense to insure it are you going to tell them it's mapped ??.
TBH if I was you I would buy a slightly more sensible car for a year or two save the pennies up then with 2 years NCB and 2 years older you could get a much better car.

Karl.

The clutch is the only thing that will cause you issues, the rest of the engine will easily take the power. change the injectors and turbo and it will remap to 170bhp again the clutch is usually what causes issues.
Seeing you are going to to so much expense to insure it are you going to tell them it's mapped ??.
TBH if I was you I would buy a slightly more sensible car for a year or two save the pennies up then with 2 years NCB and 2 years older you could get a much better car.

Karl.

Is there an aftermarket clutch that can be fitted to take the power? I wouldn't be in a position to do this until the se one year. However a car that I could be running for 3/4 years it may be worth getting the work done depending on the costs involved.. I can always try get the clutch fitted in the motor vehicle department in college if I bribe with a few biscuits.. so then it only costs me parts :o.k:

To be honest, no matter what car I get I will end up spending all my money running it, the last thing I want to do is use all my money on running a car I will not be happy with.. and I can be certain I will only be happy if I am behind the wheel of an Audi. I would rather spend my money on something I am going to be happy driving and love, that won't happen with a 1.2 Fiesta. Worst thing is, the Fiesta will cost the same amount to buy and only about £500 cheaper on insurance, when you think of the quality I would be sacrificing by getting a Fiesta rather than a German car, it isn't too hard to decide what I should be doing with the extra £500.

I have a 100bhp model

never really felt the need to remap

over 300k on the clock and still going strong so no problems with the engines themselves

I have a 100bhp model

never really felt the need to remap

over 300k on the clock and still going strong so no problems with the engines themselves

Take it that it doesn't struggle at all then? Dad has a 140 B7 Avant that has been remapped to 185bhp and 400nm torque, now that goes like stink. I am just going off the 115 my Mum has, 100 just doesn't seem masses considering it is quite a big car.. feeling much better about it now though.

Thanks buddy :icon_thumright:

I wouldnt say it struggles

overtakes need a bit of planning and it takes a bit to get up to speed if your booting it but day to day driving its fine

I have left plenty of motors off the line lol

I wouldnt say it struggles

overtakes need a bit of planning and it takes a bit to get up to speed if your booting it but day to day driving its fine

I have left plenty of motors off the line lol

To be honest I will be happy sat behind the wheel of any Audi for my first car, just wanted to make sure it wasn't deathly slow.. lmao!!

I can imagine you have, even on my 50cc moped.. I beat sainted drivers off the line at the lights.. till I hit my 28mph restriction :'( ;) Still, hasn't stopped me getting 11,300 miles done in 7 months :icon_thumright:

What sort of MPG do you get? I get 146MPG on my moped everywhere. So I assume the Audi is about a 1/3 of that? ;)

the missus used to drive about 8 miles to work in flowing traffic and get 48mpg she now has to go through stop start traffic for 6 miles and does around 35 - 40

on a decent run I have seen 62!!

I drive it like I stole it and get better mpg then the missus!!

MPG is all dependant on what type of driving you are going to be doing

the missus used to drive about 8 miles to work in flowing traffic and get 48mpg she now has to go through stop start traffic for 6 miles and does around 35 - 40

on a decent run I have seen 62!!

I drive it like I stole it and get better mpg then the missus!!

MPG is all dependant on what type of driving you are going to be doing

That is awesome! My work is based across 2 factories, one is a 0.8 mile round trip from my house and one is a 1 mile round trip. College one day a week, 14 miles. Going to be cheap to run after all I think.

Thanks for all your help, really appreciate it. :beerchug:

To be honest, no matter what car I get I will end up spending all my money running it, the last thing I want to do is use all my money on running a car I will not be happy with.. and I can be certain I will only be happy if I am behind the wheel of an Audi. I would rather spend my money on something I am going to be happy driving and love, that won't happen with a 1.2 Fiesta. Worst thing is, the Fiesta will cost the same amount to buy and only about £500 cheaper on insurance, when you think of the quality I would be sacrificing by getting a Fiesta rather than a German car, it isn't too hard to decide what I should be doing with the extra £500.

Don't want to turn this into the insurance thread it seems to have already became and know your dead set on this car but four thousand five hundred plus pounds for a year of being on the road is silly and will be dead money with nothing to show for at the end of the year other than the fact of being on the road at a stupid price. If insuring this car can not be any cheaper go for something smaller engined then after a year sell up and use the cash as a deposit on a car you truly love. I'm assuming your under twenty five and this is first time as mine was stupidly high too and that was on a Corsa, it's your cash at the end of the day but no point being worried about fuel savings if four hundred plus pounds a month goes on the price of being on the road. In terms of performance 100bhp will be slow as, many smaller cars with smaller engines will be better in terms of economy and zero to sixty times.

I agree with above post. Insurance is a joke im sure all the fellas here would agree with me that your be crazey getting a car you love as your 1ST! Beings your gona prang,scratch,bash hopefully not crash this motor,as its your 1st.

We all had ****e motors to start off and wer all say we glad we didnt because of what i mention above.
Be wise and strong and build your no claims,while gaining trust for insurance,experiance for driving and pocketing money for your real motor later.

But its your decision,with our advice ;-)

Agree with the above. I bet very few on here had an a4 as their first car. Mine too was a corsa, then a few 306's. Paying 4.5k for insurance is madness.

That is awesome! My work is based across 2 factories, one is a 0.8 mile round trip from my house and one is a 1 mile round trip. College one day a week, 14 miles. Going to be cheap to run after all I think.

How is this cheap paying £4500 on insurance ?? Seems to me you will be doing very few miles so the running cost per mile will be ridiculous. If you do 9000 miles a year it will cost you 50p a mile just in insurance costs.You certainly don't need a diesel.

Karl.

Wow, I thought my insurance was expensive at £1800 on a 2.5TDi!
Unfortunately it looks like the trend has been set for people my age and younger - could pretty much draw a line in 2006 at where insurance for young people went through the roof.
I have never paid less than £2k for insurance - first car was a MK4 1.25 Fiesta, my Ibiza Cupra 1.8T was £1800.

That's with 7 years NCB too!

In my opinion, don't go with a sluggish A4 for your first car, go for a hatch - my 2nd car was a MK5 Fiesta Zetec-S, much more fun for a first car - they are cheap now too, or maybe even a MK3 Ibiza Cupra - more power too.

A friend used 'insurethebox' for a year which dropped his 2.5 K cheapest insurance qoute to around £700. Worth a try for a few K saving. You do get a box installed in your car to monitor how you drive. Drive carefully and you are the winner.

Surely the insurance on a remapped 100bhp will be the same as, if not more than a 130bhp?

Surely the insurance on a remapped 100bhp will be the same as, if not more than a 130bhp?

when I got my car the insurance was the same on a 100 or 130

yet the 2.5 was cheaper!!!

So when he remaps his 100 it'll be even more than a 130bhp car, and exactly the same power!

I'd love the 2.5tdi, but James' horror stories scared me :p

I'd have thought your bank manager loved the 2.5tdi...or the fact that it blew up :p

Reactions: DieselJake
A friend used 'insurethebox' for a year which dropped his 2.5 K cheapest insurance qoute to around £700. Worth a try for a few K saving. You do get a box installed in your car to monitor how you drive. Drive carefully and you are the winner.

Problem is then driving carefully haha abiding by road rules is fine in theory but chances are every couple minutes they'd charge us an extra couple quid for violations and I'm more conservative than many.

Have you had a quote that includes the Map? I don't spend that much on fuel a year!

It is daylight robbery, don't know how they get away with it. It isn't a wonder why there are so many people on the road uninsured.. but needs must.

That is what I have read online, the clutches apparently don't cope too well.

I would love a 130, but the insurance on a £4000 130hp comes out as £7100 fully comp :slapped:

jeezo!! how old are you mate??

I know my insurance used to be silly money when i was 17/18 but never that much! £1500 at the most but where i live makes up for it... the middle of nowhere lol. I got a quote for our evo 8 when i was 18 and they wanted £10,000!! lol.

I moved my insurance from my 206 to my avant sport and it only cost me a few quid more (£30?) but i am 24 with 4 years ncb.

my L200 insurance on the other hand... again, most i've paid was £1300.

Honestly, keep the money and go travel around the world and/or add this into your savings. You will regret spending this money on insurance when you are older. I was a car nut when I first passed my test but it took me a while to learn that cars are one of the least important things in life.

Reactions: DieselJake
just renewed my insurance well its in the missus name now due to only having one car and wanting to keep all our no claims

me and the missus with business on too £212 a year with all the bells and whistles :D

Problem is then driving carefully haha abiding by road rules is fine in theory but chances are every couple minutes they'd charge us an extra couple quid for violations and I'm more conservative than many.

It is worth doing it for a year to be premium down. No extra charges tho. AFAIK if you drive by the rules they give you extra next month.