1.9 vs 2.0 tdi 8p2?

bristolbaron

Reaction score
Firstly apologies if this is the most common thread on here, I couldn't find an answer!

My brothers looking for an 8p2 and I'm advising him to buy a 1.9 but I don't know if this is completely incorrect advice! I've always been scared off of the 2.0 tdi's due to hearing endless horror stories about the oil pump issues. Is this a fault that occurs on the 8p2's? If so is there a cut off/safe year to buy?

Giving him the option of 2.0's as well opens up a lot more options!

Cheers

Baz

Firstly apologies if this is the most common thread on here, I couldn't find an answer!

My brothers looking for an 8p2 and I'm advising him to buy a 1.9 but I don't know if this is completely incorrect advice! I've always been scared off of the 2.0 tdi's due to hearing endless horror stories about the oil pump issues. Is this a fault that occurs on the 8p2's? If so is there a cut off/safe year to buy?

Giving him the option of 2.0's as well opens up a lot more options!

Cheers

Baz

If hes going for an 8P2, get a 2006+ one, ideally a 140 TDi

If he wants any fun with a diesel, 2.0 is the way to go. 1.9 is too sluggish in my opinion.

The BKD 140 ones have bad turbos though so I would get a 170bhp one.

I think all pre 2006 140s are BKD mate.

Common problems:
Cylinder head cracking
Injector problems
Poor turbos

Check if car is losing any coolant, has any shakes at idle and has any under/overboost before buying.

Reactions: Sayam
If he buys a BKD engined one, check for a low hoot/whistle a bit like a police siren on the test drive. If it's making any strange noises like in the link below it will need a new turbo. I learned this the hard way haha.

Why would you want to buy a 140? the 170 is far more reliable, and quicker.

The police siren noise can exist even on a brand new turbo, it isn't a 100% sign of turbo failure mate (there are quite a few topics where people confirmed this after buying a brand new turbo).

So we went to see the car, it's realy tidy and he's basically ready to put a deposit down.. a couple of queries though..
On start up, the ignition seems a bit slow, like the engine turns over half a turn before firing - is this normal? weak battery? something more sinister?

There is no FIS display! It has cruise control which is nice, but used to having average fuel readouts etc even on a mk4 golf!

About the ignition, mine does the same (battery is brand new and the starter motor as well).

Could be something as sinister as injector loom, faulty injection timing or coolant in cylinders (cracked cylinder head).

Don't forget to check for white smoke and lack of coolant, cracked cylinder head will set you off a couple thousand mate!

About the DIS display, it is a sign that it is Attraction (lowest equipped model) version. Maybe look for Ambition (Closest to SLine)?

Last edited: