1.9 Tdi Shreading Auxilliary Drive Belts ?

robert97r

Reaction score
In the last 5 months ( 6,000 mls ) my '76 A4 Tdi 110 has shed 2 and is currently on it's 3rd Aux Drive Belt ( Fan; Power Steering and Alternator Belt )
As the current Belt is still fitted I can see that it seems to be riding over the Pulley Ribs towards the front of the car, this suggests that there is an alignment problem but why after 150,000 mls in my ownership should this start happening ?
Robert.

dont know for sure but try checking the tensioner,maybe be short of tension or wobbly

Good suggestion, would account for Belt crossing over Pulley Ribs, I also have a '98 A4 so will compare Tensioner forces. Will report back.
Robert.

Latest Belt fitted and will monitor daily ( ? ) Compared Tensioners on both Audis and the seem the same. Spoke with Continental who manufactured the Belts, they were very receptive of the concern and will talk with their German colleagues and supply feedback.
Robert.

try putting a straight edge(steel rule etc)across the 2 pulleys to check alignment

THis used to be a common fault and the tensioner needed to be replaced, we used to get loads of cars coming in with snapped belts

When looking down at the engine from the n/s you can see the pully on the poly belt tensioner, the spring goes out of shape and the tensioner pully goes out of alignment causing the belt to snap

Job is fairly straight forward but the bolt holding the tensioner can be very tight and seize in plus you need a special tools to hold it steady while you undo the bolt