1.9 tdi front engine mount

MooLard

Reaction score
Good evening!

After several failed attempts I finally replaced the standard front engine mount with an RS4 one.
The first stumbling block I hit numerous times was the six torx bolts that hold the two bumper parts bits that join the bumper bar and bumper to the car. They are done up tight, are corroded and the torx bits I used were chrome vadium steel and they kept snapping. I got around this by buying a steel bit that came attached to a large socket, I WD40'd the bolts and the backside of them too, cleaned out the middle of the bolts from rust and then shocked the bolts with the bit, an extension and hammer.
The next stumbling block I had was that the RS4 mount is a lot harder rubber and the hole was round but what it plugs on to was oval! I could have warmed the part up in some hot water, but instead I cut a few small slits on opposite sides of the hole, which allowed the rubber to expand enough to get over the oval mount. It's a shame I had to cut the mount, a part of me knows it will cause wear quicker, but the first one lasted 140k miles so this stronger one should last a lot of time too.
I ran out of time today so I'll test drive it tomorrow and see it it makes much difference. Here's hoping!

Reactions: DieselJake
Good stuff, looking forward to your review as I have a set to go on myself.

Changing the snub mount will make a nice difference, especially as your running an RS4 version, I run the neuspeed one and I think its great :) a worth while mod.

:)

Afternoon all

Good news, very happy with the replacement, there's no noticeable extra vibration through the car, which is often a worry with harder mounts, still a bit annoyed with myself that I ended up cutting a few partial slits in the mount to make it slide on, there's a chance it would have gone on anyway if I warmed the rubber up, or even had the intercooler pipe off so as to be able to press the mount on with my foot or something. I was however getting cold and wet and short of time so I opted to butcher my hands while fitting it in the service position...

I think the Neuspeed one probably fits better, but is a harder material than the RS4 mount, it might cause lots of cabin vibration on a diesel, thankfully the RS4 one is only a little firmer rubber rather than poly.

The engine mount supports the engine, on the 1.9 tdi the main mounts are on the driver and passenger sides of the car, the rear is balanced and supported by the transaxle to the back of the car and the front is steadied with this snub mount Mounts are usually soft-ish rubber to absorb vibration and to allow some limited movement.

Reactions: DieselJake
dont suppose you have the part number to hand do you and how much it cost as something i wanna do on mine in a few weeks time

This is the upgraded rubber version for a Passat B5.5 2.5 V6 tdi it may well be the same part 8D0199339E

Reactions: bradh
Not 100% I'm afraid but I think but It looks like this 8D0 199 339 F and was about £25-£30

I bet the Passat item is the same ;)

£10+ vat from TPS.

Mount2

IMG 5746

IMG 5768

Yeah, looks just like the stiffer and softer ones I've got anyway so would say it is :icon_thumright: