1.9 tdi 130bhp fwd vs quattro mpg

p1tse

Reaction score
What are the differences.
Owners here worst and best mpg/ miles per tank etc?

My quatty gets 30 - 38mpg on short runs.

Yesterday on a long run at 70mph for 150 miles I got maxed out at 42mpg. Highiest I've seen with very careful driving is 44mpg.

New Coolant Temp Sender, Just been fully serviced, oil, fuel filter, oil filter, air filter etc and had the EGR and Manifold cleaned and so it's pretty top notch.

Recently had injector cleaner through so I expect that's as good as it gets!

Rich

All my figures are fill to fill as i don't have DIS. Bear in mind 2wd has 70l tank where as quattro has 63L.
Min 32.3mpg max 448 Miles Comparable range for 2wd tank 498m
Max 42mpg max dist 592 miles. Comparable range for 2wd tank 659.

The other day i was on a steady run to Sheffield, had 184 miles on the trip and sat a 78mph i had 520 showing on the range. 704 miles is rather impressive from a quattro. Unfortunately it started dropping when i came off the motorway.

Reactions: Mike.M
Sorry to throw your maths out, but to keep the thread accurate, quattro's have a 66 litre tank :)

That's from the 2003 A4 model range brochure.

My 2wd averages about 47-48 mpg with a range of 730 miles, I do 130 miles a day mainly motorway at a steady 85ish! On a steady journey on an A road doing 50-60 I can see the range go up to 830ish

Official figures are 45mpg v. 43mpg.

In winter my quattro DIS shows 34-38 on a 20min drive to work, 1/2 urban, 1/2 motorway. In summer, it's 38-45. I've seen 50mpg on a long run in summer.

Though I'd question how reliable the DIS is, but don't have the inclination to work it out properly!

Sorry to throw your maths out, but to keep the thread accurate, quattro's have a 66 litre tank :)

That's from the 2003 A4 model range brochure.

Nowt wrong with my maths mate, my owners manual lists all the quattro's with a 63l tank. Having had mine completely empty i can verify this too.

Nowt wrong with my maths mate, my owners manual lists all the quattro's with a 63l tank. Having had mine completely empty i can verify this too.

Probably a 63 litre tanks and 3 litres in the the lines or something then. I'll have to see what my brochure say's, I've only ever looked in the Audi range brochure, although Parkers state 66 too.

EDIT I've just been out and checked my manual (like a saddo..) and it definitely lists 66 litres for all quattro models!

Last edited:
Don't set too much store by parkers, just looked on there for my model avant and they list it as a 70l tank!!

Its a bit weird that your literature is different to mine. Mine car was registered Feb 04 but is a 53 reg. Manual lists all the 2wds as 70l and ALL of the quattros as 63L.

There is no way you would get 3l in the lines, 1l would be a push. Would be interesting to know if Audi changed the tanks.

I agree Parkers is a bit hit and miss. I can only guess they changed the tank size in late 03/early 04 unless anyone else can offer an explanation?

"The fuel tank holds about 70litres on 4 cylinder FWD and 66litres on four-wheel drive models.These figures are only approximate capacites"-from a4 avant owner`s manual 2002.

Last edited:
I normally average 35-38mpg around town, however on a trip to Devon recently from Scotland I averaged 44mpg and that was most of the way at 70-75 on the speedo, although there was a 90 min section in traffic and some back road driving as well....

With the cruise fitted later this month I expect to average 45mpg on my trip to Le Mans later this year...

Ive got a 1.9 quattro and i managed to get 605 miles on a single tank once but that was leaving it until the computer was reading 0 before i refilled. I think i worked it out at about 46mpg if i remember rightly, but that was all motorway work at about 70-80mph

Normally i get about 25-30mpg though, haha i dont like hanging about. lol

Ive got a 1.9 quattro and i managed to get 605 miles on a single tank once but that was leaving it until the computer was reading 0 before i refilled. I think i worked it out at about 46mpg if i remember rightly, but that was all motorway work at about 70-80mph

Normally i get about 25-30mpg though, haha i dont like hanging about. lol

crickey you don't like to hang about, my 3.2 v6 petrol is like that LOL

last week on a full tank I got 590 miles in my quattro avant, does need a service though.

hi guys
would really like your opinion as its a burning issue for me- i filled up £50 and i got 240 miles in my b6 2.5tdi quattro, now i must admit i have only had the car 2 weeks so been quite keen, however, the dis stated i avg 25mpg on the 2 setting and 1 setting it regularly displays anything from 15 to 25mpg, with short journeys though mainly and a heavy right foot. would u say my dis is faulty as when i did the maths and converted myself i worked out approx 30mpg???

any thoughts or tips as i'm a bit concerned there's something wrong????

ps i checked my manual and it states 63 litres- nov 03 model.

cheers.

hi guys
would really like your opinion as its a burning issue for me- i filled up £50 and i got 240 miles in my b6 2.5tdi quattro, now i must admit i have only had the car 2 weeks so been quite keen, however, the dis stated i avg 25mpg on the 2 setting and 1 setting it regularly displays anything from 15 to 25mpg, with short journeys though mainly and a heavy right foot. would u say my dis is faulty as when i did the maths and converted myself i worked out approx 30mpg???

any thoughts or tips as i'm a bit concerned there's something wrong????

ps i checked my manual and it states 63 litres- nov 03 model.

cheers.

thats sounds very low mate, i have a 2.5tdi cabriolet, and am currently gettin just over 36mpg, 30 mile A road commute to work and back. heavy foot in the morning as i am usually late lol.

i put some reddex(i think thats what its called, £8 halfords) in last week when i filled up and that seems to have helped the mpg a little

Thanks pal- was thinking of doing that but was a bit hesitant as it says in manual not to add any kind of additive?? But at the same time I assume it can't do any harm- so will try redex an see how it goes. Otherwise I hope it's a faulty dis and nothing more serious.....
Cheers.

i didnt realise additives wasnt supposed to be used. but i put mine in on saturday, so far so good. i was just gonna use it every 3rd or 4th tank full.

hopefully you get an improvement in mpg some how

No,you will not see any improvement in mpg;search google and you will find is only placebo.

Morning
I worked it out manually and I got 30.75mpg if my sums are correct- 250miles,135p/litre,£50 fuel,4.55l in a gallon=8.13gallons~250=30.75mpg. Dis showed 25mpg overall- I have filled up again and reset- now dis showing 18.9mpg???? Quite puzzling tbh??? Also, not convinced redex or similar will help as i assume thats for the fuel filters, but the cars running pretty smooth- I think its gotta be the short journeys- starts and stops etc?????
Cheers.

Morning
I worked it out manually and I got 30.75mpg if my sums are correct- 250miles,135p/litre,£50 fuel,4.55l in a gallon=8.13gallons~250=30.75mpg. Dis showed 25mpg overall- I have filled up again and reset- now dis showing 18.9mpg???? Quite puzzling tbh??? Also, not convinced redex or similar will help as i assume thats for the fuel filters, but the cars running pretty smooth- I think its gotta be the short journeys- starts and stops etc?????
Cheers.

Instead of Redex, try Forte Diesel treatment. But short journeys will hammer MPG.

Filters is worth changing - Fuel and Air.

With all my cars, i always change all the filters every year. Don't like Audi's recommended intervals for filters.

I get 350-400 miles with £65 of Diesel.
This is City and motorway driving.

I find Shell fuel gives better MPG.

Last edited:
Hi vinesh
Thanks for that- I will look at the forte diesel product. Cars due for service in a couple of months so will get Audi to look at the filters. I also just filled up with shell- £60 to be exact and trip showed 300 miles so maybe it takes into account driving/journey habits- if I get this then I work out 31.75mpg which is still disappointing.
Maybe the service will help.
Thanks for your response.

I get 33mpg as an all round average on mine, so it's not that far off. You must drive it pretty hard though to get less than me!

I get 33mpg as an all round average on mine, so it's not that far off. You must drive it pretty hard though to get less than me!

yes james- its cos ive only had the car 2 weeks, plus i think my right foot is not connected or fully co-ordinated with the sensible part of my brain yet!!!!:yes:
plus i'm lovin the sporty sound of the v6 so guess its costing me to hear that everytime i get in the car!!:drool:......i'm a 21 year old in a 41 year old body crying let me out, let me out!! lol

Sporty sound? Dont get ahead of yourself... Its a diesel. :p

i know mate, but so glad i got the v6 quattro- tell you what its the best sounding diesel i've ever owned, and i've had a few- mind you i cant believe i'm a german fanboy now, back in the day i was a japboy only- i sometimes miss the good old drift days of my neesaan 200sx and 300zx's..... ok, ok, sacarilidge i know , guess i've grown up a "little" bit since!!!

i know mate, but so glad i got the v6 quattro- tell you what its the best sounding diesel i've ever owned, and i've had a few- mind you i cant believe i'm a german fanboy now, back in the day i was a japboy only- i sometimes miss the good old drift days of my neesaan 200sx and 300zx's..... ok, ok, sacarilidge i know , guess i've grown up a "little" bit since!!!

Chuck the cats out and it will sound even meaner ! By far the best diesel sound you can get on full throttle !

Chuck the cats out and it will sound even meaner ! By far the best diesel sound you can get on full throttle !

100% agree- however, i am against cruelty to animals....(sorry, couldn't help it!! lol). not sure but would catless make the mpg worse????? Mind you, with the fuel consumption i'm currently getting, im thinkin i should gone for the S4......now that V8 sound....bellissimo!!!!!!