1.9 tdi 130 fwd vs 1.9 tdi quattro

Ian2012

Reaction score
My daily hack is a passat 130 pd, i drove today an a4 1.9 tdi q that i was looking to buy, the A4 seemed to pick up a lot slower than my car like slower to rev, i have never really done a back to back comparison with a quattro ( i have owned loads) with the same engine and fwd and 4wd, just wondered what you 1.9 q owners think.

thanks
Ian

FWD vs 4WD, it's never gonna set your heart on fire ! Consider the quattro has extra few hundred kg and the loses trough the gearbox are much higher. The 1.9PD tdi is quite a small engine for the a4/passat frame. Don't get me wrong, they can be made to shift- just done a forum member's a4 tdi to which i have fitted a BV43 turbo and a base map and it's very, very good, however the clutch started slipping so that needs addressing !

Reactions: DieselJake
130 bhp all of sudden feels like 100 definately a remap for me if i can find one that isn't rotten, just so afraid of the 2.5 dramas otherwise i would go for one of them

just so afraid of the 2.5 dramas otherwise i would go for one of them

you only ever hear of the dramas you don't hear people praising them as there not a problem for them to post about ;)

all motors have problems and if you look about you will find problems with the 1.9

personally I would go for the 2.5

2.5 all the way. The torque delivery is smooth and flows through the rev range.
Plus, the sound of a V6........

Yeah I've had problems with mine (nothing major though) but it's still a great car and I prefer it a hell of a lot over my sisters 130 sport Passat. Even she prefers my Audi A4Q

What do you guys get to the gallon in real world driving, i do around 2500 miles a month and get paid 18p a mile from my work so economy is a factor.