1.9 tdi 130 bhp vs 2.5 tdi 160 bhp

p1tse

Reaction score
so the 1.9 tdi i would assume cheaper to insure and tax?
1.9tdi better fuel, not too different to 0-60 and performance etc.

so what's the point of the 2.5tdi apart from the more torque for those who need to pull stuff like trailers, caravans?

The 4 and 6 cylinders are worlds apart in my opinions, for smoothness and noise. The fwd 2.5 is 163 bhp (on the later models at least) - quite a step up from the 130 really. I think that's the point.

id have to say the get up and go is going to be a lot faster in the 2.5 more so when you needing to over take

i had a passenger in mine the other day who questioned whether it was actually a diesel as it was so smooth and undiesely

Tax for 1,9tdi is 180£ per year,or 99£ for 6months;insurance is not expensive at all.
I don`t know for 2,5tdi.

my car is the 130 tdi on an 04 plate and it actually £155 a year for tax . i have owned both the 130 and the 180 bhp a4's the 2.5 is a couple of unsurance groups higher definately heavier on fuel . in my humble oppinion i think the 130 is the best engine very economical if driven sensibily and bullet proof also a considerable amount cheaper to fix if things do go wrong also two hundred quid could get you a good remap that can get you 170 bhp . but this is only my oppinion

i had a mk4 golf 130 tdi, i loved it, yes the tax is cheap, yes the mpg is great and yes it is virtually bullet proof, but having just bought a a4 cabriolet 2.5 tdi, i gotta say the difference is vast, the 2.5 is so much smoother, i am getting 8-10 mpg less with the 2.5, but i love driving it, its really quiet when on the move. the torque is great as well, i was considering getting it remapped but dont think i am going to bother.

changing things like the cambelt will be dear on a 2.5, near double what the 1.9 would cost.

but i dont regret changing at all, good luck in what ever you choose

having had big petrol engine, turbo VAG petrol, i've done the performance thing up to a point and think the balance of mpg and performance is important and think the 1.9tdi would suit my needs better

you were on to a no loser there mate, which ever you chose. the are both great engines in my opinion.

The big v6 will still return decent Mpg even when driven really hard. I cannot get mine under 25-27 Mpg and that's on a b5 v6 tdi quattro, with 18" alloys and with a far from standard engine...Whatever you wanna buy, take a long test drive in both... I also had big power petrol engines (still own a golf Mk3 Vr6 with a corado engine just for weekend fun) and they would return shocking Mpg (the golf would return under 9 Mpg when driven hard but it sounds sublime) when booted hard. I found the v6 tdi a decent compromise between power and economy and they respond really well to mods (allmost inexistent aftermarket)...A pd wont tune over 160-165 Bhp whatever the tunner tells you on stock hardware and they will eat clutches fairly quick. I have yet to see a failed clutch on a v6 tdi...