1.9 quattro consumption

dale86

Reaction score
Hi it's been asked before even by me but I was talking to a friend with the same car as me except for been front wheel drive. I asked him what kind of mileage he was getting and he said around 550 to a full tank I'm only getting 410 tops.

What do you expect?

4wd is always going to use fuel and have transmission power loss

Driving style and where the car is driven count for a lot, outside air temp, coolant temp the list goes on quattro will use more fuel

Reactions: DieselJake
You only need to look at the goverment fuel figures at the difference between FWD and 4x4 for the same car
Select a search : Directgov - Car fuel data, CO2 and vehicle tax tools

FWD transmission loss typically 11-15% , 4 x4 more like 20-25% and you have the extra weight of the 4 X4 system typically 75Kg which is like having a passenger in the car all the time. The difference is more marked by town driving when you are continually accelerating and slowing down.

Karl.

Reactions: Jamie-S
dont forget the smaller tank on the quat too

Hi it's been asked before even by me but I was talking to a friend with the same car as me except for been front wheel drive. I asked him what kind of mileage he was getting and he said around 550 to a full tank I'm only getting 410 tops.

I have a 1.9 quattro sport avant (170 remap). With 18's I regularly get 540 miles to the tank filling up with about 50 miles left. works out at about 44-45mpg ave calculated. That's mixed driving; motorway, b-road and town.
When I had my 17's on with winter tyres I was getting 600 miles with the same driving and routes - that worked out at 47mpg ave. Was surprised as I would think being a softer rubber they would use more, although they are 225 compared to the 18's at 235. I don't drive it like I stole it! but I don't drive like a granny either. smooth and steady with the odd overtake.

I do find they don't like town driving (probably the same for any heavy car), that can really hurt my mpg, but on a run can push towards high 40s (calculated not DIS) If I spend a week doing more town driving mpg drops to lower 40's.

Tom.

I think I'll have to get it looked at then any ideas too what it may be I'm on 19" too I'm stumped I don't know what to think.

dale ive got a 1.9tdi quattro on 19's when i fill up the car estimates 550 miles to tank but usual hit 460ish just before the light comes on.

That's what I was getting about 450 but now its gone down with the cold weather .

Hahaha yeah you and me both mate. Well its good to meet someone my age especially after the boss's 11 year old boy made the statement to me the other day "why do you have an old mans car?"

Hello chaps - Interesting to read of other people's experience of 1.9tdi quattro fuel economy - and it seems a miles off!
I've done a fuel tank to tanks and reckon I'm getting low to mid 30 in my avant. That's on 40 trip to work on 10 miles A road, 5miles of town and then 15 miles motorway cruise (80 max).
- I've changed the coolant temp sensor and not much change.
- Don't really want to change MAF until I know it's knackered - does anyone know nominal values at speed/load points?
- I can't really get out of my mind the way the car doesn't roll well - although I know the brakes aren't binding (they are free when jacked and none are overheating). It is a sport so it's on 235/45/17 - cheap ones (as bought) so rolling resistance isn't going to be great but this is is noticeable in stop start traffic

Pretty demoralised....

Any new ideas....??

Clockwork, Tyre pressures? wheel alignment? (make sure its not dragging the rear like mine was when i bought it) a super duper lightweight clark's right shoe? :icon_thumright:

Wide low profile cheaper tyres certainly won't help. Set tyre pressures for what is recommended for full load on the car. What is your average speed off trip 2 the cumulative one, that gives a good indication of the driving that you do. Mine is only 23mph in my 3.0 tdi quattro as I drive a lot in built up areas but still get around 33mpg filling tank to tank, despite the low average speed I don't hang around either.
If it's not been good since you have had it sometimes it's worth checking the cam timing as this can have a big effect on economy.
0 + - 1 is good.
As for the MAF, with vag-com if it's reading around 240-260 (assuming you haven't deleted the EGR) at idle then it's probably good.

How to adjust camshaft timing on a TDI PD pumpe duse 1.9L engine (VW and Audi) - YouTube

Karl

Last year I was getting around 650 miles out of a full tank doing an 80 mile round trip 70 of which was motorway.... I was driving as economically as I could in an attempt to break 700 miles but that was just asking too much.... I would sit at 60 mph on the motorway and the car is a 1.9Tdi Avant Quattro remapped with a Blacksmoke 160 bhp remap the car was on 17" rims with 225 tyres.... now I'm on 18" rims with 235 tyres and I pay no attention to economy at all and I probably get 450 to 500 miles out of a tank... that 6th gear really helps a lot and obviously driving style makes a huge difference... I must say though I have never found it more exhausting than trying to drive economically ,,,, it's really hard work and the last thing you want to do after a 13 hour shift