1.9 BXE conrod failure prevention

George Pearl

Reaction score
Hi
I just found out that i have the dreaded 1.9 tdi bxe engine in my 2009 audi a3 8p. The issue is that i have only just bought the car and it has 120000 miles on the clock, so i am concerned that failure is imminent. What exactly happens to the conrod when it fails, is it the bearings on it or the actual arm, and what can i do to prevent it happening.

Change the oil regularly use the right grade etc. Though if you want to be 100% sure change you big end shell bearings so you know there’s no chance of them being worn. I did mine when I found a vibration on idle that wasn’t the flywheel. It’s not a bad job to do once you get started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi
I just found out that i have the dreaded 1.9 tdi bxe engine in my 2009 audi a3 8p. The issue is that i have only just bought the car and it has 120000 miles on the clock, so i am concerned that failure is imminent. What exactly happens to the conrod when it fails, is it the bearings on it or the actual arm, and what can i do to prevent it happening.

U can find a different healthy engine for cheap and if you do the swap yourself its gonna be pretty cheap and ur car wont fail while driving. My BXE never gave any warning noises it just failed while driving. The engine was well maintained before me and after i bought it, if it wants to fail it will fail.

Reactions: Gazwould
Change the oil regularly use the right grade etc. Though if you want to be 100% sure change you big end shell bearings so you know there’s no chance of them being worn. I did mine when I found a vibration on idle that wasn’t the flywheel. It’s not a bad job to do once you get started.

Hi
Hi, I bought myself an octavia II 2006 56 plate with BXE engine. full service history. every 5-8000miles oil changes. 14 stamps in book. Previously I look at a similar newer octavia with bxe engine and there was no oil change for 26,000 miles. long services after 50,000 miles until 90,000. anyone knows which is the best bearing shell to install? one other thing.. on a start up when engine cold or hot half the time there is a big engine knock. engine runs smooth no knocking from engine ,just on the sturt up. can anyone help?

Hi, I bought myself an octavia II 2006 56 plate with BXE engine. full service history. every 5-8000miles oil changes. 14 stamps in book. Previously I look at a similar newer octavia with bxe engine and there was no oil change for 26,000 miles. long services after 50,000 miles until 90,000. anyone knows which is the best bearing shell to install? one other thing.. on a start up when engine cold or hot half the time there is a big engine knock. engine runs smooth no knocking from engine ,just on the sturt up. can anyone help?
That could be an engine mount broke, have a look at them first. Other than that remove sump and clean out sump and pick up pipe as it could be oil sludge and hope for the best.