1.8TFSI PCV test

Ibisa3

Reaction score
I've had a look, but can only seem to find info for the 2.0

Trying to cure a miss at tickover - Starting at the PCV.

Can someone tell me the best way to test it (definitively) Either on or off the car........

Thanks

If you run the car and then undo the oil cap, the cap shouldn't be to hard to lift. If it's very difficult (more vacuum) then most likely PVC. If when u remove the oil filler cap the engine will continue to run but struggles a bit, then PCV is good.

Cheers. Its not HARD to remove. when you put it back it sucks it back into place though.

There is a noticeable change in engine note when its removed.

I was hoping that was my issue, as it would have been an easy fix........

Any suggestions on where to look next ? I've pretty much ruled out it being a lazy coilpack, and it runs fine at any pretty much any other RPM. No issue at the 4k limit in neutral

the first 10 seconds of tickover after stopping are fine, then it happens a few times intermittently, then becomes a little worse.

Vac leak ? Overfueling caused by a sensor failing ?

Mine has a slight judder at tickover. I have never found a solution. It feels like a miss, but really not sure. No codes when scanned. Any codes for you? That would be my next suggestion, get it scanned with vcds or similar. For me I tried, plugs, coil packs, PCV, full service including fuel filter and still the same. Mine is a 2.0 tfsi by the way.

Intresting. I tried to video the miss yesterday, but the audio is TOO good, and it sound like someone had left a halfords tool kit in my sump.

When you say it feels like a miss, if you sit in the car, can you feel it ? Like a very light thud ?

I can feel mine, and if i get out and go to the back, i would describe the exhaust noise from the miss as a PHUT, can see it in any steam output etc.

I know this engine has been apart, and has had a valve replaced.........Very unsure as to why someone replaced ONE valve......

I've started an oil consumption test thismorning, so time will tell.

Yes, all I know about mine is that sometimes it's fine, but sometime whilst stationary it feels like the car wobbles slightly, revs don't change but the wobble goes away if u apply a touch of throttle. Keep us posted on what you discover mate. Good luck.!

I had the same sort of problem with my 2.0 FSI I found the breather pipe going from the top of the rocker cover to the throttle body was cracked! I replaced it and its all smooth now

INTERESTING !!!

I'll have some more time this week to have a play around, listen for leaks with a hose pipe etc.

: The port on the front right of the inlet manifold - The one that isnt connected to anything - I'm presuming thats not MEANT to be connected to anything ?

As mine is the 2.0tfsi I guess it's slightly different layout to the 1.8fsi. The only pipe I have from the throttle body is the quite thick one (about 2" wide). There are so many thinner hoses, but not sure what I'm checking if I'm honest. Also on my 2.0tfsi there are no pipes from near inlet that go to nothing. They are all connected up. Maybe a photo may help.

The plot thickens. This might get interesting.

Drove 150miles to a ski resort today, drove like a charm, never missed a beat, and returned good MPG.

The last 2km is a fairly steep climb, sat behind someone in 3rd quite happily.

Coming home, Car warmed up whilst i packed my stuff/skis on roof rack etc.

Set off down the long hill, in 3rd at around 30, OFF the throttle the entire time ( on the over-run if you will)

Got to the bottom, gave it some throttle, and it instantly starting missing, felt like more than 1 cyl. Changed gear, same. No miss with clutch dipped. engine man light on.

Stopped, checked code with reader, Misfire detected cyl1

Reset, and it was fine all the way home, including easy driving, and some far more spirited stuff.

Surely there is a clue here, must be a vac pipe or similar ?

The only other thing i'm thinking....More sinister......I'm loosing coolant at a fair rate. between max and min in 200 miles.....

I would have though misfire would indicate one of the following. Spark plug, coil pack or coil pack loom. If I were you, I would swap coil pack on number 1 for coilpack number 3 or something. See if the fault follows the coilpack. If it stays at cylinder 1 then try swapping a spark plug over with the other. Then go from there.

Not sure about the coolant leak. Look for wet hoses or worst case scenario it could be head gasket.

Thing is, 99% of the time, it runs perfectly, on and off boost, low rpm, high, full chat.....

Sorry, i should have included the pre-info.

This car has had a new coil pack in cyl 1, after it failed the day after i bought it.
Its also had the head off at some point, owing to a snapped/slipped chain, and a bent valve.....Worrying that i can only find a invoice for ONE valve!!!!

Pulling the plugs will answer a few questions i guess !

Yes, I'd check the plugs for any clues. I'm not a mechanic but I have read quite a bit on here trying to resolve my judder issue. Yeah, you would have though more than one valve would have been affected. Stick some new plugs in if they haven't been changed for a long while. Good luck mate.

This car is 1 week and 3 days in my ownership..........

starting to think i've bought a total lemon.....

Private sale or dealer.? If dealer they must have a warranty period. Send it back and tell them to fix it as they have sold you a car that is not fit for purpose. You do have rights mate.

Dealer, but not audi. It was a trade in to a seat dealer. And 450 miles away.

It was an audi dealer that did the timing chain Work. I have the receipts for the parts, but no labour. Chain, pulley, timing case, 1 inlet valve.

Willing to bet the valve was cyl 1.......

( they have some crappy warranty, like £400 per claim, but if it's a hg or bent valve, the warranty isn't really relevant....sale of goods surely?

I'll pull the plugs, 16mm right?

Hmmm. A tough one mate. I'd almost certainly contact the seat dealer asap. Tell them your problem, but I wouldn't say anything about work that was carried out. When did Audi do the work? Before u bought it? I would kick up such a fuss about them selling u a car not fit for purpose, and get them to pick it up and fix it, or get your money back. It's not your fault, you want to get it sorted one way or the other.!

Def sale of goods act, you have barely even used it, plugs not sure. I think 16mm. Good luck geezer.!

Well. Work was done by audi in Aug 2014 at circa 67k. Currently 76.5. Audi customer service openly gave me the date and mileage, and the name of the audi dealer.
Called the dealer to enquire as to work done, met with a brick wall, data protection etc.

Didn't know the car had been in bits when I bought It. Found a hidden invoice for a timing chain.....

this COULD just me a simple vac leak and a small water leak. ....BUT it doesn't look good in combination does it!

It certainly sounds unlucky. You've had it for less than a month. I'd highly advise u to get on the phone to Seat and get them to sort it. Be forceful if u need too, make sure they know your not happy.!!!! Even if it was an air leak, it needs to be sent back for them under sale of goods act.!

I thought that. But without the dealer telling me exactly what was done and why I'm stuck.

Can't think why a slipped or snapped chain would result in ONE inlet valve being replaced. It got a timing case and pulley so I'm presuming it snapped.

It sounds like a pain for you mate. If you went to any Audi dealer with your v5 and details etc, you can register as new owner of the car. Then they have to tell u what the history of the work done was, data protection wouldn't be an obstacle then. Does sound odd about just the one valve. Let us know how u get on.

Waiting on the v5.........

I'll pull the plugs, if all are equal colour, ill hunt the leak. if not ill become a telephone warrior.

My first experience of Audi ownership is rather far removed from my expectations........

Good news is all 4 are the same colour...

Bad news is....well, see cyl 1.....

Attachments

• 20150210_100905.jpg
    20150210_100905.jpg
    507.2 KB · Views: 441
Wow, I wonder if a set of new plugs will fix it for you then. But where has the part of the plug gone?? I wonder if Audi actually replaced the plugs when they carried out the work, or whether they forgot to check them. Let's hope a new set is all that's needed.!!!

Well......its the first time i've pulled the plugs, so its been like that for at least 1000 miles.

It dropped cyl 1 the day after i bought it, likely a weak coil compounded by that poorly plug.

I don't think its snapped off, i think its just been eroded.

Bosch plugs ok these days ?

Let's hope it's just a nice fix with plugs then mate. I'd normally go with NGK plugs, but anything will be better than the ones u have at the moment. NGK are normally be people's choice.

new plugs in, seems to be much happier at tickover. still the very occasional blip, but nothing compared to how it was before.

I'd say it pulls a fair bit better too.

Now, onto the water leak.......

Ahhhh nice one. Pleased it looks to be sorted.! As for the water I'd look for water at the hoses from expansion tank, around the radiator, around the head gasket area and around the water pump. Just to get u started, lol.

I'm having a read on the net, seems there are a few folk who have chased lost water for ages, only to find its fixed by either a new cap, or a new expansion tank.

I had a very quick look, can't see any marks, there is a outlet on what looks to be the thermostat house, with nothing connected to it though.........

The only thing I can suggest, which is actually very very handy, is to go to this website that shows all Audi models, part numbers and diagrams. Take a good look through and see if you can determine whether there should be a hose connected. This is like the bible so treat it well.
www.partsbase.org/audi

Good luck.!