1.8tfsi Coolant loss

Ibisa3

Reaction score
Any hints on the first places to inspect for a leak ?

Doing a oil consumption test just now, and as part of it i topped up the coolant to the max @ cold.

300ish miles later, its knocking on the minimum door........

No obvious leak, no steam under the bonnet, no overheating etc.

Any advice welcome.

I'd put a dye in the coolant and should make it easier to pin point leak.

great idea. I'm going to do a steam test tonight, and failing that i'll order some.

I presume its safe to leave it in ??

great idea. I'm going to do a steam test tonight, and failing that i'll order some.

I presume its safe to leave it in ??
Ye says safe to leave in, and I've had the stuff in the missus car a few year back an left it in. Hope you get to the bottom of it.

The water pump at the front of the engine just under the manifold is very common in these

I think vw are on about 6th revision of the design to stop them from leaking

Where do they leak? a pipe/flange or the seal with the block ?

20150211 183916

Well there is evidence of the loss below the pump........

Lovely.

Yep, had mine changed last year. They said it was leaking but I hadn't actually noticed, I was just getting a high pitched whistle like this

I had a coolant leak and it turned out to be the coolant flange at the rear of the head. I've just had mine replaced. Parts are cheap but the job is a real pain. Good luck with yours

The odd thing is, it goes from the max level to the min level, then doesn't seem to drop any more.......my boot is loaded with oil/antifreeze/distilled water so i can top up as and when. Currently doing an oil consumption test too.

I emailed the dealer i bought the car from a week ago. They have already gotten the hump. They offer a limited warranty on all used cars, but have now suggested that the warranty work needs to be carried out by them. I bought the car over 450 miles away from my home.......

I'll need to get a look under it, can't see a thing from on top. Might be a manifold off job......

The water pump is normally done from underneath with the throttle flap removed

There is a belt that drives the pump,

There is a special tool to remove the gear on the engine its like a 11.5 mm nut head

If you don't take the gear off you can't change the belt,

It's a little tricky to replace

Thanks for the info.

For the next while ill just monitor it closely. Hopefully the garage will do it unter warranty.

Wow. The garage i bought it from are playing hardball already. Emailed them to get warranty details.

They've instantly got their back up, and suggested that their warranty is in-house only, and i need to take it back to them. 500 miles away.

its not even 2 weeks in my ownership.
They keep telling me that they offered me an extended warranty, which never happened.
GRRRRR