1.8TFSI and 2.0TFSI S3 : Metallic Rustle/Rattle between 1500-3000 rpm

I wonder if any of the sedans are experiencing this..

same problem with my new S3 sportback, 500km on the clock.

Audi Service says no one has complaint about this and I am the first person.

same problem with my new S3 sportback, 500km on the clock.

Audi Service says no one has complaint about this and I am the first person.
Was the Audi service guy called pinnocio

Reactions: veeeight
I wonder if any of the sedans are experiencing this..

Yep, on one of my earlier posts - when mine was at dealers for investigation, they compared it to another SB and a saloon. All 3 were the same.

I had the Service Manager call me today with an update. He said he had rung around the network to see if anyone had come across a successful fix, and that he had put in a request to Audi UK for an update on the issue. He also said he has a regional meeting next week where the issue would be discussed.

Reactions: andywil13
This can't be affecting all S3's right? Who on here 'doesn't' have this problem?

This can't be affecting all S3's right? Who on here 'doesn't' have this problem?

No, I don't think it does, but it's not been possible to identify what it is exactly, and why not everyone appears to have the issue.

Has this actually caused problems for anyone or is it just about the noise?

Previously I have only noticed this noise while driving but not when idling. But a couple of days ago I noticed this noise too after starting the engine in the morning, the noise is quiter than driving below 2500 rpm but its there. Then after a few minutes the noise would be gone at idling and would only occur while driving at low RPM like everyone else on this thread....

Has this actually caused problems for anyone or is it just about the noise?

Just the noise, but it's bad enough!

Previously I have only noticed this noise while driving but not when idling. But a couple of days ago I noticed this noise too after starting the engine in the morning, the noise is quiter than driving below 2500 rpm but its there. Then after a few minutes the noise would be gone at idling and would only occur while driving at low RPM like everyone else on this thread....

Mines doing this at idling as well now when I first start up in morning. Think it's getting worse :(

Getting worse in a way is what we want surely. Then more complaints to get it fixed?

Yup precisely what I meant! it is now happening at first start-up in mornings

I'm not getting this noise.....feel left out!

There is no update to this TPI, it is still at version 1.

Interestingly there is no production change either, so same parts are going on new build cars.

Suggests Audi don't have a fix for it yet.....

I wouldn't mind if it is a clean whistle sound. But this metal brushing noise is just annoying....

There is no update to this TPI, it is still at version 1.

Interestingly there is no production change either, so same parts are going on new build cars.

Suggests Audi don't have a fix for it yet.....

Very interesting, thanks for the update.

I still have this on my sedan... I am in Canada...

I think I have this on my new S3. It sounds like a rattle behind the glove box. I thought it was something loose but It continues when the vehicle is stationary. Its back at the dealers this Friday and I'll report it.

any update from anyone, I have yet to receive a response from Audi about this "feature" sound

I have this on my S3 (S-Tronic) which has just covered 1860 miles since collection on the 9th of October. It has been there right from day 1. Getting louder now. Really annoying and sounds exactly like the video posted with the phone on the dash, earlier in the thread.
Will be taking it into the dealer tomorrow.

I have this on my S3 (S-Tronic) which has just covered 1860 miles since collection on the 9th of October. It has been there right from day 1. Getting louder now. Really annoying and sounds exactly like the video posted with the phone on the dash, earlier in the thread.
Will be taking it into the dealer tomorrow.

I hope you have better luck than the rest of us, but I won't hold my breath. Let us know what they say...

Sounds like air to me, I only get it on acceleration.

I am however experiencing a vibrating steering wheel and a quick search shows it's happening to a lot of new Audi's. Any one else?

i have a 1.8T Sedan/saloon in Brazil. I have the rattle noise also, thought that I was alone.

I have this in Canada. I test drove 3 other A3 sedans 2.0T and all have this noise. Audi Canada does not want to invstigate further and said it is a normal characteristic of the car.

My dealer replaced my turbo (with a new part number) last week on my a3 1,8tfsi
Audi France has tried to get a fix with my car.
It seems to be better at low Rpm but I'm not sûre the rattling noise has been fully fixed... My turbo has been replaced juste before I went on holiday...
I'll check it when I go back to France

Please update us. When is the new part number?
I don't know... Dealer hast just told me it was a new model.
I go back to France in two weeks. I will tell you if the noise is still there

Hi Francky, are you already back in France? I'm wondering a lot if the noise is gone.

I live in Switzerland and my S3 also has the rattling noise. So far it looks like there is no solution to it. But on 11. october 2015 they released a new turbo revision. So far nobody knows that changed and if it fixes the rattling, but maybe there is some little hope, specially if Francky got a new turbo revision (until now Audi said that changing the parts doesn't help and therefore the dealers shall not replace anything by now).

I'm going to call Audi tomorrow about the turbo as mine is a model that is in the failure sheet. Manufacturing date etc. yesterday I put my foot down and it hesitated and didn't accelerate. I tried to reproduce it but was unable. Not very confidence inspiring as you can imagine. It's happened once before a few months ago both times similar situation and engine at temp. So if they do end up replacing the turbo I'll let you know and see if it makes a difference on the noise.

Reactions: Martinbanshee
@S3 TRS
That happened to me too, once like 9 months ago. Ever since it didn't happen again. But I'm still interested what Audi tells you.

Well car is booked in on 8th December. Further away than I thought!

Nice, really interested to hear if it fixes the noise too..

I don't think it will. Audi still says there is no fix and the TPI is still open. Also the problem with no acceleration sounds like a problem with the gear box to me. The rattling sound on the other hand is a turbo/wastegate problem.

Anyone have a link to the press release type thingy with S3 / golf r turbo issues on certain build dates?