1.8t tuning

oadamo

Reaction score
hi all iam doing a conversion with a 1.8t engine out of a a4 ive been told this is the place to ask. could someone tell me i bit about the engine and what the standrad engine can produce.what boost will the rods and pistons take. i no its got a dual mass flywheel can this take an increase in power or whats the limit.
thanks all for your help.
adam

I think and i can stand corrected :) that the standard 1.8T AEB engine will not cope with more than 280ish+ driven hard on its standed internals etc
If you have a TT S3 BAM engine then these have steel internals and can go over 320+
What you planning on doing to the engine and turbo etc ?

hi markey the engine ive got was out of an a4 estate it was rwd.
ive got megasquirt and an external wastegate + t4 turbo to go on but iam gonna get it running on the standard turbo first then go from there ill be happy with 200+bhp but you always want more :) .
adam

RWD estate? Would either be Quattro or front drive mate, the A4 engine is mounted inline either way, as opposed to the TT an A3 which is mounted transverse.

Like Blue said above it would not be RWD unless both fron drive shafts had snapped.....

hi lol soz iam getting confused the car was fwd but the engine was mounted like a rwd.:thumbsup:.
adam

heres a pic of the engine its a crap as it was taken in my car

18-08-07_1626.jpg

11-08-07_1426.jpg

That looks like an old 1.8T engine from that cover, or that could be the new cover cant remember, yeah it could have been llongitudinaly mounted like in the A4s and Passats etc which looks like RWD setup.

you can go to about 210 - 220 on a ko3 turbo, upgrade to the t4 and you'll need to increase injector size and remap ecu to suit. the cat is very limiting. you'll obviously need to replace the exhaust manifold with the t4.

about 260 - 280 bhp is probably limit on std internals, so i guess if TT/s3 injectors fit they might be upto the job.

i think you might get some lag on a t4 though, as i think they are quite big units and no roller bearing to allow faster spool up. most people are putting on gt2871 or gt3071 series turbos.

change the internals and 600bhp has been seen on these engines, reliably i'd say 400bhp is to be expected.

dual mass flywheel i think needs changing if going higher bhp, convert over to a single mass item with an uprated clutch. not heard of gearbox issues though mine is making some very interesting noises since boosting up the power.