1.8t Timing belt change

Tobe

Reaction score
Hi,

Done timing belt change w/water pump, tensioner and all that stuff myself this weekend, all finished in about 5 hours which i was quite proud of :) not a bad job to be honest, not as bad as changing the ignition loom. i wouldn't mind doing it for anyone in the bristol area for a small price if the car was brought to me.

it was an ecs kit with a conti belt, and the belt had a sort of ridged pattern visible on the outer surface where i assume it is joined, just wondered has anyone else seen this and is it normal of continental belts? obviously they're not as high quality as the vw/audi ones, couldnt see it on the old belt but that was worn. should i be worried or is it fine. it seems to work fine and i've driven 200 miles yesterday and redlined it many....many times :L with no problems

cheers,
toby

Did you change the tensioner damper too? most kits don't come with them and dealers don't replace them unless asked too... they need to be replaced at the same time as doing a belt/water pump as I have seen these fail very shortly after a belt change causing the belt to jump teeth

<tuffty/>

yeh i used the ecs ultimate kit and changed everything that comes in it, so tensioner damper and pulley were changed.

cheers for the reply