1.8t or 3.0tdi

stuart.garlinge

Reaction score
Hi, been shopping for an A5 recently and I'm wanting the 3.0tdi, budget is about 9.5k, so will allow an 07/08 year, but finding one in the right colour, wheels, mmi/sat nav, etc is leaving me with very little choice, But, there is more choice when it comes to the 1.8t, I know it won't be quite the experience of the 3.0lt engine, but putting aside the engine I can get the exact car I'm looking for, colour, all the extras, and milage well under a 100k, and I'd imagine the bottom line mpg figures will be similar, plus hunting online for reviews of the 1.8t there seems to be less faults with it than there is with the 2.0t, would be grateful of your experiences or views, thanks

To some extent it depends, if you want the toys over out and out performance then I think the 1.8T would be a good choice. If you want the performance then the 3.0 TDi is the way to go.

As you've no doubt gathered the 3.0TDi is a lovely engine though, and my vote would be to save up the pennies and get the spec you want.

The A5 is a beautiful car to look at and be in whatever the engine. If you find yourself driving a 1.8t flat-out, pedal-to-the-metal all the time, you can always get a remap.

The 3.0Tdi is nicer and the S5 nicer still - but if you do not have to beat everyone away from the lights a 1,8t will be OK - and handle better than the big diesel thanks to having 220 kg less weight.

If you are being picky about colour /spec / wheels etc you will struggle to find a 3.0TDI as there are no where near the same number of cars around as the smaller engined ones. As above it also depends what you are looking for in the car.
I looked around for a few months before finding the car I have now.
My brief was a B8 A4 3.0 TDI manual with less than 100K miles on the clock and less than £15K . I was more interested in the performance potential than the toys.
Just had a look on autotrader and there are 5 in the country that would match my original brief and 1 of those is a cat D which I wouldn't bother with. That is typical of what I found when looking.
There are more A5's but in your price range the mileage of a lot of cars is quite high.The 3.0 TDI is a good engine but potentially by the time you get to 150K miles you will be looking at clutches and potentially 200K timing chains and the like which will be expensive.

Karl.