1.8t oil in the coolant.... aaargh

jimbob79

Reaction score
Hi folks..

Noticed a little bit of oil in the coolant tank earlier, on the way home from work, had a few big poofs of smoke and oil made its way all over my rear window. No loss of power. 8 miles later and almost home, coolant light came on, smell of oil through the vents.. got home, its dumped most of its coolant oil mix..

Can anybody shed any light what may of caused it?

Any help appreciated..

Could be the oil cooler has a crack in it. Happened to my 2.5tdi. coolant tank filled with oil, coolant light came on, smell of oil through the vents. New oil cooler and about 20 clean flushes of the coolant system, new header tank and all fixed. Hopefully its that and not the head gasket

Thanks vagcabby, doing a little research yesterday and most people are saying oil cooler.. theres no loss of power so hopefully its not head gasket...

Hi folks..

Noticed a little bit of oil in the coolant tank earlier, on the way home from work, had a few big poofs of smoke and oil made its way all over my rear window. No loss of power. 8 miles later and almost home, coolant light came on, smell of oil through the vents.. got home, its dumped most of its coolant oil mix..

Can anybody shed any light what may of caused it?

Any help appreciated..

Most likely the oil cooler http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Engine-Oi...985298?hash=item33b7ccd052:g:778AAOSw2GlXDmZB

Simple enough to fix, drain oil and coolant, remove oil filter, remove large nut (sits above the oil filter) then the oil cooler will slide off, remove the two spring clips for the coolant hoses, then remove. Removing the coolant expansion tank should give you enough room to do the job. Flushing both systems after a few miles is good practice.

If it's not that, it's the head gasket but the oil cooler is usually first to let go.

Thanks quattrocalum.. any recomendations of where to get a replacement? Is there a particular oe brand to go for? Im assuming audi will rip me a new one if i purchase through them...

I mostly use Ebay, there are plenty of genuine parts on there if you look carefully enough, luckily that link is for West Midlands VW Parts, I've heard them mentioned plenty of times across the forums so no worries there.