1.8t fwd vs quattro

p1tse

Reaction score
Did quattro only come in 190 models?

Following 1.9tdi thread, I'm now considering 1.8t model as do low miles.
However someone once mentioned the 1.9tdi is more reliable, why? Because it is petrol model generally cheaper too hence the consideration.

I've seen 190 100k+ models fwd circa £4-5k and quattro £6k

How does the fwd cope with the adverse weather conditions like the snow we've seen?

The 190 is available in both fwd and quattro. i don't have one so can't offer too much comment on how they cope with snow etc, the only real reliability issues are coilpacks, (see sticky for recall) and the oil pick up in the sump blocking up which you can take relatively simple precautions against.

I would drive both to see.

I couldn't see what difference quattro was to make against 2wd, until i drove one.
It's more than just an addition of 2 more wheels being driven, it's a different experience IMHO.

The suspension seems complient but handles corners very well considering the compliance

1.8ts can suffer from oil sludge problems if the oil changes are not done in time, or are left @ 20k per time as per AVS.
Other than the coil packs they are hard as nails IMO

I've owned a 1.8t 225 tt, r32 quattro before. Traction is sublime, even in the damp. Maybe considering a rwd BMW td as main car and hence would be good to have quattro for the wife car when the bm struggles.

Then again wife ka fwd was ok ish in the snow round us, but quattro would be best

i have the a4 1.8T quattro and the grip is something to behold. i had a loan of a b7 fwd when mine was in for a service - no-where near as good to drive. the torque was good, but i felt the front end would spin too easy in the wet. i change the oil every 10k miles and changed the pump, filter etc when i bought the car, after reading the stories on here.

now, i'm selling the car... the power and grip is what i'll miss the most i think.

Did quattro only come in 190 models?

How does the fwd cope with the adverse weather conditions like the snow we've seen?

Like James said the 190T comes in fwd and quattro.

My 190T fwd coped well over the winter as it didn't move of the drive for 2 months lol.

What horror stories?

I meant did the non 190 1.8t come in quattro?

Yes you can get a 163bhp 1.8t in fwd and quattro versions.

The horror stories are in relation to the oil pick up blocking and damage varying from just the turbo to cooking the whole engine, it's a big problem with the 1.8T. BUT as I mentioned, if you're aware of it and take the precautions, flushing the engine, cleaning the pick up and using the right oil and changing it at the right time you'll be fine.