1.8T fwd - cheap suspension options

JayB5UK

Reaction score
Those Bilsteins look pretty good for the money but from my experience with other vehicles i've owned if you get cheap suspension kits the handling is never any good. If you just want it to look better they'd probably be OK but i doubt it would handle as well as the original sport suspension on your car.

I'd shell out a bit more and get the Spax complete kit.

that's the thing, nearly christmas, wet weather is coming and i can't really afford a lot right now. By the time i've shelled out for fitting just the shocks are gonna cost £150-£200.
Handling is more important than looks really, it sits ok but high from the back, a bit lower would be good.

i used a bilstein streetline kit on my old audi 80, it did not dissapoint, gave a nice well damped ride, and was stiff enough to corner nicely too.

Ok if you read the text for the Bilstein the shocks are stock OEM shocks with lowerd springs so not as good as your sport shocks.

If I was you I would get a set of H&R Race springs they work great on Sport shock and give the car a great ride hight, have them on my 1.8TQ and I love the set-up for now.

Cheers guys for comments on Bilstein.
Doc. - I saw your post about changing shocks the other week and after looking again at mine, it doesn't have red shocks. So I must assume that they have been replaced at some point with standard or probably kwik-fit or similar ones. Have the fsh but no invoices etc for suspension to be found so I am confused.
I'm sure it has the sport springs as it's deffo lower than other A4's round my way but whether they are gonna be up to much after 120k is debateable.
The Spax kit is only £225 from some places, dunno if it would be too hard and not in the same league as H&R / Eibach.
Bit of a dilemma. To me I need shocks pretty urgently now it's gonna be getting wet out but a new whole set would feel good i'm sure.
Confused.

I see then may be just the springs for now and shocks later as the set-up on stock none shocks is not to bad just on slow dips you get a bit of bounce but on bends they are great.

As for your set-up you may have sport springs with stock shocks because the springs set the ride hight not the shocks so you would be lower.

think it's gonna have to be just the front shocks for now really, they are way bouncy and it's got so much worse in the year and 10k i've owned it. Also, now I have another bike, I may out the car in spring anyway and go without a car for 6 mths or so. Makes spending loads on suspension a bit of a waste if I do sell it really.
Cheers. I'll let you know how much they sort it out! Anyone in Kent fancy fitting them on the cheap???!!!

Yeah I COULD do it, but now have no driveway and can't find my spring compressors, plus i'm getting lazy in my old age! LOL

There was a time i loved being outside in all weathers rebuilding engines and stuff, mind you I was skint then too...

Might see if I can blag a mate to help motivate me.

Jay,

I have all the springs and shocks off my S4 that I broke still. The car had done 18K miles.
I am not sure if the rears are the same for a fwd car but I know the fronts are the same set up. Someone shoud be able to confirm otherwise I can find out over the weekend.
This may be another, cheaper option for you. I am also not a million miles from you.

And the shocks are definately red!

John

Johns shocks will prob be a huge improvement in what you have, maybe with whats been saved you could buy something to suit the rear to keep it ballanced

Yeah, nice one guys. Have to admit I was a bit thick, having WIPED one of the shocks clean while changing my alloys again yesterday, I noticed the fronts ARE Red. So they will have done 120k!!!!
John, I will pm you.