1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1.8T died on motorway - no fault codes - cranks but no start

timgiles Nov 18, 2018

1. timgiles

timgiles New Member

1. Hi all,

My 1.8T died a couple of weeks ago on the motorway - I could not accelerate, then it slowly slowed and died, lost brakes. So I have checked for fault codes and I get nothing back. I have replaced the hall effect sensor and engine speed sensor. Fuel pump is working AOK. Sparks are getting spark. Took the top engine cover off, all the cams look AOK, engine turns over when the starter is used. The chain, tensioner look AOK as well.

Something I have noticed is that when I crank the engine, the starter is sounding very high pitch, like there is a problem with the valves being open. But I have not bought a compression tool yet to check.

Any thoughts? The car had a leaking water pump and the timing belt was/is up for renewal (I was 3 days from doing the job). Is it possible the timing belt jumped a tooth and the valves are damaged?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Retroman

Retroman Audi A3 2010 Sportback 2.0 TDI 170 (CBBB engine)

I think I would first check the timing belt to rule it out. I'm afraid to say that a belt snapping does result in a complete "non run/start" and sometimes a change of noise when the starter engages with the flywheel gearing, because there is less engine/compression resistance.

Seanchadwick2k3 likes this.
  4. stevey83

stevey83 New Member

As said, First thing to check would be the belt. Although if it happened and speed, and youve been trying to turn it over, i expect the damage to be there.

You could also whip the cam covers off and see if you can see any damage.

5. QuattroCalum

QuattroCalum Well-Known Member saloon Audi A4 Black Edition Saloon Manual

Set the engine to TDC and check all the timing marks, the crank pulley can fail on these, it physically looks okay but the timing marks won't line up.