1.8T Beetle looses power at 3000 rpm

crusher

Crusher
Reaction score
My 2001 1.8T Beetle just started having problems while on a long trip.
It still cruises down the hwy just fine, but during acceleration looses power right at 3000 rpm.
The engine runs good and the turbo seems to spool up just fine.
Once I bring it back down under 3000, the power comes back.
The engine light never has turned on during all this.

:think:

MAF sensor or turbo hose come loose. Unplug the MAF And see if it does the same. Notice any hissing when it comes on boost?

Airmass would a good place to look but I would also check the DV as this can be done without the need for VAGCOM or any other parts. While the engine is at idle see if any of the crank case breather pipes have a leak the ones under the manifold are a fave as is the one at the end of the camcover. look for any signs of oil as this is normally a good sign of air escaping from the engine.

If you can get it on VAGCOM or the like you might find that the fault code give it away :)

Best of luck

Sounds like a maf to me!

crusher said:
My 2001 1.8T Beetle just started having problems while on a long trip.
It still cruises down the hwy just fine, but during acceleration looses power right at 3000 rpm.
The engine runs good and the turbo seems to spool up just fine.
Once I bring it back down under 3000, the power comes back.
The engine light never has turned on during all this.

:think:

I would def say its a loose pipe, as I had the exact same thing last week, and it was my Turbo to IC pipe. Check all the connections

turbo cuts out at 2800 rpm and I loose power.... but after my battery went dead the other day everything started working normally once I got a jump start. This has happened twice so far... turbo starts working if the battery voltage goes down. Computer problem???

OK... it was running fine for a month and now it just started acting up again. Very intermittant problem.:keule:.
I've checked for leaks, but a leak wouldn't be an intermittant problem like this is. This sounds like an electronic problem...so now I'm off to look at the MAF or the CM :uhm:

Thanks for all the suggestions