1.8T Aux Belt

niggtv

Reaction score
Hi,

My auxillary belt is about to give up (it has split so that 2 of the 5 ribs on the belt have come away from the rest of it). It looks quite awkward to get to as there isnt much space between the front of the engine and the radiator..... please could someone give me some tips on how to do this - presumably I have to release whatever tensions it so that I can put the new belt on.

Cheers in advance guys...

the front bumper needs to come off, (2 bolts) and then you can unbolt the front panel with radiator etc and pull towards you a few inches, get someone to hold it while you change the belt. audi use a jig to hold it in position while they work on it in the service position.

and yes it is very tight.

The tensioner is easy to release too,I think you can just hold it to one side with an allen key.

If its the alternator belt,then use a 17mm spanner to twist the tensioner till the holes line up and put something in there like an allen key to hold it there.That will release that, the aircon one will also need to come off, the tensioner is operated by 2 6mm headed allen screws,both need to be slackened to move the tensioner.

It is just about doeable without setting the car into the service position,but your hands will be cut to ribbons, and you will swear a lot. Also if you have not done it before its kinda hard to describe exactly where the aircon tensioner bolts are located.

Ok, cheers guys. No aircon to worry about so should hopefully just be a case of twisting the tensioner (pull it up or push it down?), putting an allen key in to hold it (can see this being awkward if I cant see what I'm doing), and then put in the new belt.

17 mm spanner on the lug,push toward passenger side,then if you look down you will see the little lug type thing,that needs to be vertical so that it lines up with the hole below,and Voila !!