1.8T 20V Running Problems

Daniel Iversen

Reaction score
the last few days, ive had a problem with my B5 1.8T

Car starts, runs and drives fine until its on its proper running temperature. Once its warm, when im gonna accellerate/floor it, it starts hesitating.

Im suspecting my coil packs are done, but figure i'd ask inhere first. Some of my coworkers says it might be a bad o2 sensor.

Specs:
Stock top and bottom end ANB 20V turbo
Stage 2 map with catback exhaust and 3" downpipe. Stage 2 map is uninstalled to see if that made it better, it didnt.
Forge blowoff valve. that is not the reason for whats happening, as i mounted that after the car made these problems.

thanks in advance.

check all the pipework for leaks. My dads would hesitate when coming on boost due to a split hose on the inlet manifold.

Coils will usually break down at higher loads. if 50% throttle works, but 75 (or whatever) doesnt then it does point towards coils. Is the ANB late enough to get the integrated COP/ignitor units? Or is it still on the old dumb coils?

check all the pipework for leaks. My dads would hesitate when coming on boost due to a split hose on the inlet manifold.

Coils will usually break down at higher loads. if 50% throttle works, but 75 (or whatever) doesnt then it does point towards coils. Is the ANB late enough to get the integrated COP/ignitor units? Or is it still on the old dumb coils?

It uses the excact same coils as AEB does. (like those on the picture here)
Upload 2017 3 11 21 55 58

Small update.

I put VCDS on the vehicle, making a fault code on the first and second 02 sensor (i dont care about the second as i have already removed my Cat) The first claims "bad signal" or whatever.

those pictured arent AEB coils, they're the later type with combined ignitors ;)

If you've got fault codes for lambdas then they need changed.

those pictured arent AEB coils, they're the later type with combined ignitors ;)

If you've got fault codes for lambdas then they need changed.

I was pretty sure those were AEB coils too, oh well. my bad.

Well yeah, i thought that the lambda fault might be the problem :)