1.8t 190 White Smoke

Olibb

Reaction score
Hello

I'm new to this forum, so this is my first post!

I have a 2004 S-Line Avant 190 BEX.

The car smokes in the cold mornings - 2 degrees or so. Which I assumed was normal. But once I have driven 10 miles - the car is fully warmed up; but still smokes only on idle. It's a white colour and does not seem to smell of anything. (Not sweet or oiley)

Car drives fine; temp always at 90 and no problem idling or boosting.

I dont seem to be losing any coolant or oil; but I'm keeping a close eye on this.

From research I've come to the conclusion it's not my hg. As I have no mixing of oil and coolant and no idle or temp issues.

I assume it's going to be my turbo (ko3s I assume), oil cooler or some sort of leak in the PCV system?

From what I thought; oil burns blue if it was turbo but I've seen some videos and posts that it can burn white?

Any thoughts or help would be kind.

Thanks!

edit: the car didn't seem to smoke hardly atall after a drive home once stopped. The smoke is a small amount but noticeable.

Some do this in cold weather.If everything else is Ok then just wait and see white is not oil but water vapour.Stat maybe leaking cos it should warm up quicker or could be the coolant temp sensor.Best to get a diagnostic check if you can

I just had mine remapped and only had the typical climate control flap error. So being remapped it was put through the normal tests and logs. But yes mine does it after it's warmed up. Only thing it does need is a new diverter valve. I have stopped worrying now.

Ah okay. That puts my mind at rest slightly! Did you get a 190 remapped? How is it?

Ah I see. How does it drive now? Do you have any smoke on boost? (I don't) just seems when I'm stopped in traffic or stopped.

Don't think so I notice it more when at standstill. Yeah it pulls very well.

I used an established local vag tuner. Only cost me £150. If there was any issues he would have said. If the smoke is still there during summer then I will worry. But I don't remember seeing white smoke last year.

Where are you based? Do you have any other mods?

Anyone else have any ideas or input on what to check?