1.8T 190 Quattro or not?

A

AndyCollins

Hello

This my first post in the B6 forum so hi guys.

I currently have a B5 1.8T Sport and am looking for a B6 1.8T 190 S-line. The question I have is whether to go for a quattro or not. On the B5 the quattro had 180 bhp compared to the 150bhp 2wd, and i understand the extra 30 bhp compensates for the power loss of the quattro system. With the B6 having 190 bhp for quattro and 2wd versions, will you notice a loss in performance for the quattro? or will the 4WD compensate for it. I guess it's probably an issue of preference, but just wondered what peoples views are? Any advice would be gratefully recieved. Cheers, Andy.

ive got the 1.8t 190 sport gmbh which is the forerunner to the s-line i looked for a quattro but couldnt find one for decent money they were to expensive so i got the fwd version.on the whole the car is excellent but could do with a remap as i used to have a tdi and miss the torque i tink the mpg is a little worse on the quattro,s

Andy,

Im in the exact same boat mate!! I started looking at the 3.0v6 quattro but can't seem to find one very easily with all the right bits and pieces i want:sadlike: Im now looking at the 1.8T 190, quattro and 2wd versions. I was speaking to Jim at Star Performance yesterday for some advice on cars and he recommends the quattro version. Ye as you said i think the 2wd version is quicker as the weight in the 4wd system does slow it down a little, but the 4wd will be better bad weather and if mapped....decisions, decisions, i know how you feel!!:keule:

Think i'll go for the quattro version and then a remap straight away just to help the performance side. I currently drive an Astra VXR so most models are a drop in performance for me....

So come on guys give us some help, plleeaasssseee:hi:

Positives for the Quattro:
1. Better road holding in all conditions
2. Cooler image
3. Slightly better re-sale values
4. Better road holding in all conditions
5. Dosent have the traction control twitching if you boot it really hard!

Point 1 & 4 are the same but its so important I had to say it twice!!

Negatives to the Quattro:
1. Costs more to buy in the first place
2. The car is about 200kg heavier
3. Slightly lower mpg
4. About 0.2 sec slower 0-60
5. A few bhp lost through the 4wd system

Basically, the Quattro will handle better & wont wheel spin or cause the traction control to kick in so much, but it cost more to buy, will give 1mpg less than a 2wd & wouldnt be as good in 1/4 drag races!

I drove a 2wd A3 2.0 TDI S-line Sportback when my A4 3.0 Quattro Sport was in the dealer, the thing would slide all over the place in comparison to my A4 with ESP off, and would judder if I booted it with the ESP on as it fought for traction. Out of choice i'd have a Quattro everytime! If your planning a remap imagine having 230bhp'ish and tyre shredding torque with only 2 wheels to get it onto the tarmac. The Astra VXR im sure has this problem, its known to be prone to torque-steering.

There's a reason cars like the R8, RS4, RS6, Lambo Gallardo, Scooby Imprezza & Mitsu Evo are 4wd, they handle better!!

Quattro is not 200kg extra weight than 2wd, it's more like 70kg.

My opinion is that quattro is what make Audis unique, its the brand's USP, so always worth getting quattro IMHO, why would you not?!

The 190 sport quattros are quite rare models though, as are the 3.0v6 sport quattros, so you'll need to hunt around, but they're worth looking for. I understand the 190s respond quite well to re-mapping?

What are the 0-60 times of the 3.0v6 quattro, 1.8t quattro and 1.8t

These times are from Parkers, are these about right?

3.0 v6 quattro - 6.7
1.8T quattro - 8.0
1.8T - 7.6

My preference is the 1.8T quattro. I've just noticed more 2WDs for sale so it seems i'd have more choice. Want to establish how much of a comprimise it would really be.

I've looked at a Black '04 2wd with 57k, sunroof, rear parking sensors, detatchable towbar, Bose sounds, FaSH, one owner and in really good condition.

Up for £14,999.lovelly car but mileage is a little high for my liking. Also can't help thinking that if I hang on I could probably find a quattro for the same money. Has to be black though. (not that i'm fussy!)

Cheers Jase

Looks good. Unfortunately I missed out the one key bit of info. Got to be an avant. Part of the deal was I want a new car, the mrs wants a dog(hence the avant). I'm happy with that if thats the only patter of tiny feet i hear!!!

oh right, ill keep an eye out. i have an avant need 1 with 2.5 kids and a dog

Pity, your like me who like black too ive just seen a red quattro avant 190 sline for £14300 in autotrader in the north east thats only done 39k , I got sick of waiting for a avant in black to turn up so settled for a saloon instead.

Quattro!! This spate of bad weather has made me love mine even more, bury it in any gear and get nothing but traction, sure footed and safe.
If I wanted MPG I would have gone for a 2wd oil burner!

I agree with others here that Quattro for this car is the way to go, especially with a remap. Traction in all conditions is noticeably more confidence inspiring and worth the extra in terms of cost and minor consumption difference. See my PM to you.

Quattro all the way, I have the FWD which has been Revo'd and getting the power down is a big problem.